5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Relay not permited (Outlook 2003 SP3)

I have my outgoing and incoming mail server addresses set to the IP address of my domain name. This works perfectly until I try to send email from a wifi location in some hotels and friends homes, where a get a message "Relay not permitted". (I do not ever have a problem with incoming mail). Is there a way to resolve this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Relay not permited (Outlook 2003 SP3)

Have you checked the "Out going server" settings. They should be as shown in the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What mail server software are you running?
    How is the mail server connected to the Internet? Is there a firewall that allows incoming access to Port 25?

I think that "Relay not permitted" is the error message you get when someone tries to use your mail server when they are not on your network, which makes sense in this scenario. If you enable this feature in your mail server configuration then you will very rapidly be found by the spammers, and shortly later you will be blacklisted by your ISPs mail servers.

Solutions to this would be to configure a VPN server on your network and then connect to it before sending email, or to use an SMTP server that will allow you to authenticate to it in some way to prevent spammers using it as a relay.

Depending on your next reply we may need to move this thread to the Windows Servers, or Software forum.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am using a shared hosting service with Verio and POP email accounts on this server. Verio tech support tells me that I should not use authentication for the outgoing (SMTP) server. After thinking about this, I may have not tried to first down load mail from the server before trying to send mail. Logging on to the server by clicking Send/Receive with no outgoing mail should validate me as a legitimate user, after which for some period of time, I should be able to send mail. I seem to recall this happening some time ago. I will try and validate this theory on my next trip.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many ISPs only allow you to use their mail server to send email if you are using their internet connection. This could cause the error you describe.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's a good point, but I have not had this problem in the past, which is way I think Verio requires a connect to the POP server before sending to the STMP server. I am pretty sure doing this will resolve my problem

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The same goes for the "Out going Server" settings I listed above. Some ISP do NOT want you to connect to their site with out going through their front door and will suggest that not use these settings.

If your method does NOT work give the above settings a shot. You will know right away if it works or not, just sent a email. BUT, do a restart of Outlook first, this is not normally required but sometimes it is. On a lap top, this will also allow you to send from any connection, without connecting to your ISP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I check "MY outgoing server (SMPT) requires authentication", should I not also check, "Log on to incoming mail server before sending mail"?
    I notice you did not have this radio button checked.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just select the "Use same settings as my incoming server".
    I have never needed to do anything else.

Thanks

The option "Log on to incoming mail server before sending mail" is for any mail servers that might require you to try to retrieve mail from your mailbox before allowing you to send. This is an old technique seldom employed these days. Your mail provider will let you know if it is needed.