Lounger
    Thanks

Linking Frontend with Backend (2000)

I created a database in 97 for a customer. They took it upon themselves after using it for a couple of years to upgrade it to Access 2000. Now they are having some problems. I had them email both the front end and the backend. When I opened them up, even after they've been converted by the customer, it said that it was a previous version of access and I should upgrade it to 2000. So I did. I linked the tables. But everytime I try to open up a form it says that the path is not right. (When I do updates for them I send them a new copy and they relink the tables because we don't have the same drive set up.) 1. How can I get everything linked up so I can troubleshoot the database? 2. Am I going to have to worry about changing the path for every object each time I work on the database?

Thanks,
    Russ

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking Frontend with Backend (2000)

Is it possible you are opening the backend database directly? That would be the only circumstance I could think of that would get you this error in your situation. I'm assuming after you link the tables manually, you can view a table via the frontend?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I can get to all the tables from the frontend with no problem. And I can edit all the forms. But when I go to OPEN a form it gives me the wrong path error.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Russ,
    In my applications the path to the back-end is saved in the Registry.
    I have a form that let me read and save the path to the back-end with the GetSetting and SaveSetting.
    Every time that the application starts, I read the path in the registry, and relink the tables. If the path is not available, then I go to my form to ask where the back-end is.
    You can find code for relinking tables in the Solutions.mdb. It is on the Office CD but not installed by default.

Hope this help
    Francois

Lounger
    Thanks

Will do! Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>Yes I can get to all the tables from the frontend with no problem. And I can edit all the forms. But when I go to OPEN a form it gives me the wrong path error. <<

That is very strange. The question is, the wrong path to what? Any other error message? Does form come up at all, just with no data?
    Mark Liquorman

Lounger
    Thanks

No the form does not come up at all. Just the error message stating that the path s:admin...... is not valid. This path is the path used by the customer on their network. So when I get the database on my computer I relink the tables and then I can work with the database. But in this case it doesn't seem to be updating any other links but the tables.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>But in this case it doesn't seem to be updating any other links but the tables<hr>
    Tables are all you can link, unless you're referring to links to table type files like spreadsheets or textfiles. Do you have references in code to other paths or do you have links stored in tables? In that case, no, it won't update them because what is stored is data, and data is *not* conditional.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>But in this case it doesn't seem to be updating any other links but the tables.<

What else is there to link to other than the tables?
    Mark Liquorman

Lounger
    Thanks

Well that's what I thought too. I think when the form opens, the tables that are source to the forms still show the old path, even though the tables have been relinked. So right now I'm thinking that it's a corrupted database. I've sent them a backup copy of the 97 ver database upgraded to 2000 and so far doesn't seem to be any problems. If it works out I'm hoping I can just import all the data from the latest (corrupted) backend and have them up and running.

Russ

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Queries can have a path setting for the source table as well.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming the forms are based on stored queries have you tried opening the query itself?
    A query can have a setting for the path to the source table such that you can have a table 'Tbl_X' linked correctly to C:Srce.mdb but the query has the path setting set to C:AnotherSrce.mdb. You can open the linked table Tbl_X correctly, you can open the query in design mode and see all of the fields int Tbl_X but you can't open the query itself if the database C:AnotherSrce.mdb is not a valid path.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>Queries can have a path setting for the source table as well.<<

Considering his database used to work before with just relinking, that means some User went through alot of trouble (assuming they had the skill) to change SQL statements to include the IN clause.
    Mark Liquorman

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Your posting 'What else is there to link to other than the tables?
    ' as I understand it is incorrect. There is another method of defining a path to a table and I informed the postee of this method.
    The user requires zero knowledge of SQL - it is one of the settings on the property dialog when the query is in design mode.
    It just needs one query modifying to create trouble.
    I have seen 'hobby' programers make some innovative and unique (read weird and stupid) 'improvements' to databases.

The postee gets an invalid path message when opening a form, this could be a way to generate an invalid path error that happens on opening a form but not in design mode of said form. When the obvious doesn't solve the problem then either look at the not so obvious or give up.