3 Star Lounger
    Ohio - USA, Ohio, USA

EMail settings (Outlook XP)

I tried to set up a new email account in Outlook (because I've been having problems with OE that no one seems able to fix). I am now running into the same problems with Outlook and get this message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Home Mail', Server: '', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F.

When I test the settings in Outlook - as well as OE - it seems to not like my e-mail address (which I've had for years and years and years)

My settings are correct:

General Tab

Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing is checked

Servers Tab
    My incoming is POP3

Remember p/w is checked

My server requires authentication is checked

Connection Tab

Nothing is filled in or checked

Advanced Tab
    Server Port #'s
    In: 465
    This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked

Out 995
    This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is checked

All of these problems started when ATT/Yahoo started posting this every few days:

Dear Customer:
    We noticed that you are accessing email using non-secure settings in your email software.

We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and email messages are transmitted securely between your mail software (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers. In order to meet this need, please enable SSL via the instructions that are available on the Help site.

Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about this, we request that you please make the necessary changes immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to continue to send/receive email using a mail client.

I have been with their online chat for hours and at the end of every session they tell me everything is working properly - but it really isn't and a day or so later I start having the same problems. I have let the Yahoo Self Help Tool do its thing as well but it goes in and changes my incoming and outgoing servers to instead of and then I have to change them back.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not want to use web-based email.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: EMail settings (Outlook XP)

One possible cause is the e-mail scanning function of your anti-virus program. See for example Error: "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection . . ." when sending or receiving email in Outlook or Outlook Express for Norton Anti-Virus.
    Another possible cause is your firewall - make sure that it allows e-mail to pass through in both directions.