offices

rotating .emf images

I'm completing a Ph.D. dissertation which includes a large number of graphics, mainly maps created in a Geographic Information System program. The maps are exported from the GIS program as vector-based .emf files. This is fine for portrait-oriented maps, but many of them are necessarily landscape-oriented. The GIS cannot rotate the maps before export.

My problem, then, is how to rotate .emf files in Word 2000. The immediate answer is "you can't", of course -- only raster images (e.g., .jpg) are rotatable, even in other programs. The only software I've found that rotates an .emf is HiJaak, but it doesn't read my (registered) fonts and the program is no longer supported by IMSI.

My question: does anyone know of any other way I might rotate an .emf? By the way, simply changing the Word page orientation from portrait to landscape doesn't work, because my university is adamant that portrait-oriented pagination headers be included on every page.

Any advice will be VERY appreciated!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: rotating .emf images

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gwhitfield on 01/01/19 01:16.</FONT></P>I can't help with rotating an .emf, but it is possible to create "fake" portrait page headers and footers, on landscape pages.

Look for a recent thread titled "Insert Flowchart" on this forum for steps on how to do this.

From Geoff W:

Here's the link

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Use a graphics tool to import then rotate the .emf files and then resave as emf and then import into Word. I would use Corel Draw or Visio but Powerpoint may be able to do the job for you. EMF is an enhanced Metafile so pretty well every graphic editor on Windows will read the file. You may have to ungroup it and then regroup it for Powerpoint to handle the rotation.

I would be loath to rotate a map as I always expect to see North pointing up. Another option would be to shrink the map or crop it (in Word or in the GIS tool) to make it a more upright aspect ratio and show the detail you require.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

offices

Thanks! However, I've already tried that approach. It's limitation is that Word does not allow fields such as pagination to be inserted in a textbox. If necessary, of course, I can manually enter the page numbers for the final document. Since the document will be very large, however, with many landscape-orientation maps, this means I'll have to manually enter a lot of page numbers. Oh well. Thanks again.

offices

Thanks! However, I didn't compose a very complete question. I, too, am under the impression that a sophisticated graphics package such as Corel would handle my task. But it costs c. $500 (did I mention I'm a graduate student?) and I really have no other use for such a program. I'm still hoping there might be a way to do just this one thing without having to spend so much money.

Responding to your other comments, the highly detailed nature of these maps is such that they can only be read at the scale of an entire page, and their landscape orientation is necessitated by the shape of the territory being analyzed.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Going back to your original solution of page orientation -- you can use Word2k's table feature in the header to create the customized header/footer situation you describe. I have attached a very crude example for you.[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Karen

offices

[img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img] Hey, thanks! This is the first real progress I've made on this issue!
    But I've not been able to position the table the way you did -- how'd you get the table to go outside the header? I'm putting a single-cell table inside the footer, with a sideways text alignment and right justification. This puts the page number in the right place (upper right of a portrait page). But I can't get the page number up against the bottom landscape margin, because the table won't go below the footer's single paragraph symbol.
    I must not understand some obscure feature of Word. Any thoughts?
    Anyway, thanks so much.
    Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The table needs to be in a floating object with the correct settings in Word Wrap. Try a text box and create the table inside that.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you weren't in Word2000, Andrew's advice would be your only solution.

However, 2k's tables automatically have that functionality without the added step. When in a Word2K table, Print Layout view (like when viewing headers and footers), just above the top left and bottom right borders of the table is a white box with crossed double-arrows. If you click and grab it, your table automatically can be clicked and dragged wherever you want it. Then go to Table / Select / Table then Table / Table Properties and choose wrap text.

You'll probably have to twiddle with it a bit, but it's a bit easier than trying to figure the size of your text box and then insert a table.
    Karen

offices

[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Dear Karen,

Thanks for the additional input. I wasn't able to drag the table outside the footer; perhaps there's some constraint I don't know about.

However, I discovered a similar way to do the same thing. Apparently the table need not be associated with the footer. With the View Header/Footer turned off, I inserted a table and dragged it to the bottom right of the landscape page (keeping it within the margins) and changed the text direction. I then used Insert/Field to insert the page number (Categories:Numbering; Field Name: Page). Looks like it's going to work fine.

What do you think? And thanks again for the help. This is a great service.

Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent -- where there's a will, there's a way... unless Bill gets in the way.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Karen