Thanks

Break the 4gig memory barrier

I've never had to pay much attention to this before but now with my new system that has 4 gigs of memory, it caught my eye.

I an article in Windows Secrets, Scott Dunn writes about Windows not always taking advantage of or using the entire 4 gig complement of RAM. XP and Vista.
    With the simple addition of an another item in the boot.ini file ( /pae ) the OS can most times "see" this amount of memory and more if it is installed.

Check the full article out in WINDOWS SECRETS
    Scroll about half way down to read it.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Re: Break the 4gig memory barrier

I would have thought the easier way of making use of more than 4 GB of memory would be to install a 64-bit operating system!

For my Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 I have to include <font face="Georgia">/3GB /USERVA=3030</font face=georgia> ...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

PAE allows Windows to access more than 4GB of memory, but none of your applications will be able to access more memory.

This will only be useful if you run lots of applications at the same time.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

I have 4GB in my system and albeit the ASUS M/B allows this amount of memory, the POST only reflects that I have about 3.456 (give a take a few k). Now this is before the Windows environment and its boot parameters are even loaded. At least, that is what I understand. I might give that /pae parameter a go to see what happens.

Regardless, the system is working without any hitches with its 3+gb RAM.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A question regarding 64-bit versions of Windows: Can most modern PC systems run 64-bit versions of Windows? We have a client who is getting a new server and I'm planning to put Exchange 2007 on it which requires a 64-bit OS, and I want to make sure the hardware is capable of running the OS.
    Wendell

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Any recent vintage chipset is 64-bit. Can you give any specifics on the server?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There area two possibilities actually. One is a new Dell PowerEdge 2900 with dual quad-core Intel Xeon E5420 processors and 8 GB of RAM to start with. The second is an older Dell SC 1420 server that has dual 3Ghz Xeon dual core processors circa 2004 that has 4 GB of RAM.
    Wendell

Thanks

Hi Bob,
    This is more of a reporting glitch, rather than an actual "loss" of usable memory. With 4 gigs installed, that's what you really have available, despite what the system may say.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

I'm quite sure that the 2900 will support a 64-bit server. See Intel® Xeon® Processor E5420 - SLANV for specs. The Dell configuration site The Dell Online Store: Build Your System offers all the 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003 & 2008. According to Dell PowerEdge SC1420 Server it should also support 64-bit. NOTE: on the 1420 you need to make sure that the BIOS will support 64-bit and that you've got 64-bit drivers for all your hardware.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob...
    Regards,
    Bob