Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying Pictures (Office 2007)

I have embedded several pictures in a Word document. I have tried copying the document by Ctrl+A, followed by Ctrl+C. But the embedded pictures do not copy. In fact, they are not even selected, as I can tell because the selection highlight passes around them. Is there any way I can copy the complete document, including the pictures?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying Pictures (Office 2007)

Copying an entire document should also copy any pictures in the document.
    Could you attach a small sample document that illustrates the problem?

Thanks

Can you use Insert > File to insert the contents of the source document into the destination document? This is approximately the same as Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V except that there may be differences with respect to certain attributes of the last paragraph and section in the source document when it lands in the destination document.

Of course, this does not resolve the mystery of why the images can't seem to be selected, so probably further investigation is warranted even if Insert > File is helpful.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To get a file that was under 100K, I had to modify my original document. I deleted most of the text, and all of the original pictures, and inserted a smaller picture. Now the picture seems to be selected, but it still is not copied.
    Thanks for your help.
    Michael Trombetta
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Copying works OK in Word 2002 (see screenshot - youre document on the left, contents copied to a blank new document on the right). Perhaps someone can test in Word 2007.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg y.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

It works normally for me in Word 2007. Perhaps this image was inserted a different way than the others? In your original document, if press Alt+F9 (toggles between field codes and field results), do the images change to field codes of any kind?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I pressed Alt+F9, but that doesn't do anything. To make sure we are on the same page: I inserted the picture using Insert-Picture. I used Ctrl+A, followed by Crtl+C, and then in a new document, Crtl+V, and I copied the text but not the picture. To be sure I wasn't doing anything stupid, I then selected by dragging the pointer, used the ribbon command Copy......
    WHAT AN IDIOT I AM!!!!
    This time when I copied, I clicked the little dohickey (I don't know what it's called), where I could select either keep source formatting, or match destination, or copy text only - and I forgot I had made that my default.
    Thank you all for your help. All your effort might not be totally wasted - the next time someone posed a similar question, you can ask him if he changed the default paste option.
    Thanks again,
    Michael Trombetta

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you found it!

Thanks

Ahhh, I think that's enabled by turning on "Paste Options Buttons" under Word Options > Advanced > Editing. The ability to override Word's default with a new one is new in Wod 2007; I hadn't noticed the change from Word 2003's paste options drop-down.
    Attached Images Attached Images