2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best way to upgrade to WinXP

What is the best and/or cheapest way to migrate a PC from Win2000 to Windows XP Professional? I'd like to keep all current software and not have to reinstall. Can XP be purchased and downloaded from some online site? What price range can I expect?
    Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best way to upgrade to WinXP

Microsoft doesn't sell the retail version of Windows XP any more, it's only available to OEM computer builders.
    You can still get Windows XP from companies such as Amazon: Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows XP Professional UPGRADE with SP2: Software (see Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2 - Upgrade Package: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag for others). It's not cheap though (US $110-200), and as far as I know it's not available as a download (at least not legally).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you.

Thanks

I have upgraded from W2K to XP before, but I agree with the common thought that a clean install is the better option if you can do it that way. You will need to re-install all your software though, but you may be able to use XP's Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to keep most - if not all - of your preferences.

Make sure you do a thorough verified backup before hand- and it may be worth running the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor first. You may also want to double-check you can get XP drivers for your current hardware, and download them before you start the upgrade. Finding you can't get XP drivers after an upgrade is no laughing matter!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

YES, run the adviser and then REMOVE everything that will NOT and MAY not work.
    This includes any PROTECTION programs and any hardware.

I would disconnect any external hardware and then hook them up one at a time AFTER a good upgrade has been run for a couple days.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.