3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro Based Network and then Vista (XP Pro SP-3)

Once upon a time I had two PCs in a wired network using a D-Link router that connected to a Comcast cable modem. A third PC was connected to the network through a "powerline adapter". Life was beautiful and I could see, access and modify anything from anywhere. Then along came a 4th PC, this time with Vista Home Premium installed. Believing in that universal PC in heaven, I modified the Vista-based PC so that it belonged to the old network called "MSHOME". And then ... life was not beautiful anymore. From the Vista-based PC, sometimes I can see the other PCs, sometimes I can't. That wouldn't be too bad if it was me who decided when I could or couldn't but ... On those times I can see the other PCs from the Vista-based PC, I can access files in only one of them, but then I can not copy/move files from it. When using the non-Vista-based PCs, I can see the others but I can't do much else. BTW, when I say I can "see them", I mean their computer names; not their folder structures. Although I later replaced the D-Link router with a wireless-capable Linksys router, the problem persists. BTW, all PCs are able to access the internet, including a Dell Laptop my daughter bought recently.

Sorry for the lengthy story but, don't know what to do. Do I downgrade the Vista-based PC to XP? Can't upgrade the XPs to Vista for compatibility issues. I've tried a lot of guides available on the internet, to no avail. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: XP Pro Based Network and then Vista (XP Pro SP-3)

See Troubleshooting file shares on a home network. Please answer the questions and we'll go from there. You may also wish to read some of the other linked articles.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have moved your post to our Networking your home forum as that is where we discuss issues like this.

When you collect the information that Joe requested please pay particular attention to making sure that you have the same usernames and passwords on all the PCs and to your Firewall configurations.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So early in the year ... and I already made an ass of myself.

Thanks Stuart and Joe. As soon as I began going through the list, I had an epiphany and found the problem. My firewall settings were wrong. Thanks again and take care!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

We've all been there. No big deal. Just glad you had the epiphany. Thanks for posting back your solution.

Joe
    Joe