Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual monitors simultaneously

I recently bought an Asus M3A motherboard with which I want to use two monitors simultaneously. The board claims to have a PCIE16 socket, a PCIE 1 socket and a couple of PCI sockets. I bought a PCIE16 video card that works well. It had a plug labelled DVI and a standard analog video plug. These have the same program material on them. I then bought a PCIE1 card that works in the PCIE16 socket but will not fit into the PCIE1 sockets by Asus which have many less contacts. The AGP cards that I have seen all have longer contact strips than my PCI sockets. How can I approach this problem?

I note there are PCI16 cards that claim to have 2 dvi sockets. I am worried that these carry idential program material.

Microsoft KB seems to say that the operating system will not produce dual displays with PCIE. What is a reasonable approach?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual monitors simultaneously

I'm not sure what you mean by "These have the same program material on them. ". Do you mean that the two monitors both work but they have identical displays?

If both monitors are working then the hardware is fine and you will need to configure your BIOS and Operating System to use the monitors the way you want. What operating system do you use?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use win xp sr3.

Yes, they have the identical program material. The MS KB claims that MS only supports certain types of formats for use with dual systems but perhaps that can be fixed with bios or software. I will appreciate your suggestions. I had thought to brute force by buying another video card but I can't even find anything that will plug into the non PCIe16 sockets on my Asus m3a motherboard..

I am using the driver supplied by MS with WinMX. The Device Manager doesn't show a monitor at all which makes it difficult form me to upgrade the driver. I am using an Asus PCIe16 graphics card.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to configure the video card correctly, not the monitor. Does this motherboard include video support or do you have a separate video card?
    Edited by StuartR to add Ah, I see you said you have an "Asus PCIe16" graphics card. I suspect this has a different full name, but in any event you need to look in the documentation or utilities that came with the card.

The first thing to do is to make sure that you have the most recent drivers for your Video card. Then you should look at any utilities supplied for configuring the card, to see if there is a setting for how dual monitors are used.

When you have sorted out the Video card parameters you should right click on your desktop, choose Properties, then Settings, select Monitor 2 and check "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

StuartR