5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

copy email addresses (Outlook )

A friend's computer crashed - motherboard problem. I have pulled her hard drive and have it in an external hard drive case and connected to my system. How do I copy her email addresses from Outlook. Also, is there a way to copy her email messages? Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: copy email addresses (Outlook )

Outlook stores e-mail messages, contacts (e-mail addresses), appointments etc. in a single file with extension .pst. Under Windows XP, its default location is

Cocuments and Settings<username>Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

To see this folder, you need to display hidden files and folders. There may also be an archive .pst file, and others if she created them.
    Copy all .pst files that you can salvage to your PC. You can then open them in Outlook (File | Open | Outlook Data File) or transfer them to CD or similar.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to simply import the data back into Outlook when I set up her new system?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Copy the .pst file to her new PC.
    If you transferred via CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, make sure that the .pst file is not read-only; Outlook can't handle read-only files.

One option is to set up Outlook to use the transferred .pst file; you can do this in the accounts dialog.
    Another option is to open the transferred .pst file (File | Open | Outlook Data File...), then copy messages, contacts etc. to the new Personal Folders file.
    Importing is also possible: File | Import and Export..., Import data from another program or file, Personal Folders file (.pst), etc.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This information is in the PST file(s) she was using. If you can copy that/them and open it/them with another Outlook client you will easily be able to get the data.

All her email addresses are part of the Contacts folder within the primary PST she was using (the Primary PST is the one messages were delivered to). You can copy the contacts to another PST, or use File Extract to get Contact data including email addresses into another format.

Email received may be in the PST Inbox Folder, and email Sent in the PST Sent Folder, or in any other folder she has saved it.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS