Thanks

Re: Initial Caps (Word 97/2000/XP)

I can report that the same thing happens in Word 2000.
    My guess is that it has something to do with the interface with automatic numbering since it works if the intitial entry is more than one letter.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

I found the article for XP: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q291/5/38.ASP>WD2002: Word Does Not Capitalize the First Letter of a Sentence</A>

The weird thing is, in 2000, there is a list of exceptions for this feature, and one of the exceptions is q. Okay, so I cleared the q. exception, and it still doesn't work if q. is the only "sentence" at the beginning of the line. If I type period space Q period space nextword, then nextword is capitalized. It's quite screwy, surely for some Good Reason.

But the best workaround is to create a keystroke macro to insert these leading letters. After all, why would you want to type Q. at the beginning of these lines? Type what goes after the Q., then press a key combination, such as Ctrl-Q, that runs this:

<pre>Sub InsertQ()
    With Selection
    .MoveUp wdParagraph, 1, wdMove
    .TypeText "Q. "
    .MoveDown wdParagraph, 1, wdMove
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Initial Caps (Word 97/2000/XP)

Does anyone know whether Word XP will autocorrect an inital capital on a new paragraph. Ex.
    "Q. did you know the gun was loaded"
    The "did" will not capitalize.
    MS has an article at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q161/8/24.asp>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q161/8/24.asp</A> relating to the problem. Their rocket science workaround is use the "Shift" key when typing.
    I'm not going to bother upgrading from Word97 if such simple problems are not fixed.

**Edited by BAM to include URL tags**

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Unfortunately this problem is arising in a pool of transcriptionists who are listening to a tape of a hearing. They already have a macro that inserts either Q. or A. prior to typing the paragraph of testimony. It would probably cause even more heartburn if I start messing around with the way its always been done..... They'll just have to use the Microsoft workaround, i.e. the Shift key.