3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVG and PC Tools Spyware Doctor

I run both AVG8 and PCTools Spyware Doctor. I have tried everything I can think of to keep the 2 kids from squabbling over cycles on the box. Spyware Doc does have a setting to drop priority to keep from hijacking the system, but AVG wants all or nothing.

I have resorted to running scans after midnight but on weekends they usually fight until mid morning.

I realize the only solution is to manually turn off AVG's resident shield while Spyware Doc is lurking around, but I don't like that approach. Anyone have any other ideas?

I keep Spyware Doc around because twice in the past it was the only package that would successfully remove a couple of real bad guys I inherited.

Just belly aching, I suppose, but it seems like there should be some way to get these kids to play together

Tom

Thanks

Re: AVG and PC Tools Spyware Doctor

Tthe paid-for version of AVG has recently had a Program Update, as follows:

<code>AVG 8.0 VERSION DESCRIPTION
    ===========================
    Product: AVG Internet Security
    Version: 8.0 (build 229) - SP2

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS IN SERVICE PACK 2 ======================================
    * General: Overall AVG optimization - lower on resources, faster performance.
    <etc></code>

I don't use Spyware Doctor, but I would have thought that AVG's Resident Shield, a notorious CPU hog, would be adequate on its own? Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get Grisoft to give me a command-line utility to turn off the Resident Shield before a backup, and turn it on again afterwards.

I am awaiting a bit more experience with scans to see if they run any faster on our servers after this new Program Update!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As BATcher already noted, AVG should be sufficient - it includes anti-spyware, so there shouldn't be a need to run the realtime protection component of SpywareDoctor.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have the update installed.