2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Behavior (Excel 2007, SP1)

We're having a very strange problem. The user in one of our offices has a spreadsheet she uses all the time. It has lots of calculations on five sheets with lots of formatting. Two of the sheets are showing delayed entry of up to a mintue when trying to change data in a cell. Those of us at Corporate who have tested it only see the problem in Excel 2007. The user, however, is using Excel 2003. Not sure how that fits into the puzzle.

Anyway, I spent a long time trying to figure out what was going on. I converted the file back and forth between versions. And I copied and pasted the data between two workbooks in each version and within one version. I changed every option setting that I thought could be relevant—and a few that weren’t. I removed all circular references. I deleted all the named ranges. I hunted for ghost links. I finally copied the data from just one sheet to a new workbook and deleted ALL the formulas. I removed all the formatting. I even deleted all the columns and some of the rows, so I was down to strictly data in just 40 lines in two columns. Nada. No matter what, the delay happened. And some of the steps, like deleting all the formatting, took a half an hour or longer to complete. I finally selected the ENTIRE sheet and cleared all. And it STILL takes nearly a full minute to add a single digit to cell A1. BTW, there is no sign of any code anywhere.

The only thing I did that worked was to save the file in CSV format and then open it again. And, unfortunately, that won’t help my user much in recreating this spreadsheet. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I tried to attached my blank workbook, but even totally blank, it was 160k (the original is close to 5mgs). If you're willing to take a look, please email me privately with your address at kmonaco@parametrix.com. Many thanks!

—Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange Behavior (Excel 2007, SP1)

Can you zip the workbook?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you open the file with ALL macros disabled? Can you supply a stripped down version of the workbook which displays the problem?
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Karyl wrote
    <hr>I tried to attached my blank workbook, but even totally blank, it was 160k (the original is close to 5mgs).<hr>
    That's why I asked if she could zip the workbook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner. I had to leave for an appointment.

I didn't even think about zipping the file. I was just so flabbergasted, I guess, over the fact that even as totally empty as it appeared to be, it was still so large!

But it did zip down a bit for me, at least small enough to attach. Many thanks!

--Karyl
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I opened your file in Excel 2003 and saw nothing special about it, entering data is instantaneous.

Looked inside the xml package and spotted there are a huge number of drawing objects in it.

Open file in Excel 2003, hit F5, special, objects and hit the del key. Then save.
    This somehow took like forever in Excel 2007, so I terminated 2007.
    This macro does the same:

<pre>Sub RemoveObjects()
    Dim oSh as Shape
    For Each oSh in Shapes
    oSh.Delete
    Next
    End Sub</pre>

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association