2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Char style names starting with a space and more (Word XP)

Hi everyone,

I know what causes char styles--selecting part of a paragraph and then applying a paragraph style--but I can't figure out what's causing the problem we're having here at my company.

We have a macro that detects whether char styles exist in our documents and then removes them. However, our macros aren't working because nearly all our documents are getting styles whose names start with a space. The macro hangs because style names starting with a space are illegal (and, supposedly, impossible). Yet there they are.

Question 1: How are these styles being created????

I've attached a screen shot of the Organizer showing a particularly bad sample. This document had over a dozen of the styles, all of them named, " Char", " Char Char1", and so on.

Next issue: When I delete these styles, it changes the formatting of lots of text throughout my document. I suppose that's to be expected....except it doesn't quite make sense to me. If those styles are really "linked" to existing styles in the document, shouldn't they have names similar to those styles? For example, let's say that deleting " Char Char1" changes the style "Heading 1". Shouldn't " Char Char 1" be named something like, "Heading 1 Char Char"? These names bear no relation to real styles.

Final issue: We've also noticed a correlation between removing these Char styles and having what we call the "table style bug" appear. That is, suddenly the formatting of some of our tables and the text in them will change without warning. Doing "Reveal Formatting" on the affected tables tells us that Word has now applied a Table Style(s) (the style applied seems to be random) to the affected tables. Why does it do this?

I've posted several threads re: this "table style bug" here on the Word forum, but no one knew what the cause was. Does anyone know now? Or have any theories on why deleting a char style would cause Word to apply table styles at all? One of my favorite things about the table style bug is that Word applies styles that AREN'T EVEN TABLE STYLES! In other words, it's doing something that shouldn't even be possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Char style names starting with a space and more (Word XP)

This problem was supposed to have been corrected with a hotfix to Word 2002 SP2 that was included in SP3: Text that was formatted with a paragraph style is formatted with a character style when you paste the text to another document in Word 2003 or in Word 2002.

As far as I can tell, the problem never occurs if you turn off "Keep track of formatting" in the Edit tab of Tools | Options...

Have you tried the macro from <post:=362,594>post 362,594</post:>?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

You may not be seeing many comments because the problem is going away. I see many fewer unlinked style problems in W2003 documents, although I can still create them too easily usually by having characters highlighted when I apply a style.
    When I use W2007 (with linked styles enabled), I no longer create unlinked styles, and when I open a file from W2003 and before that has them, I can delete them manually without a problem.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Pam! That's good news, as my company just announced that we're upgrading to Word 2007........................

in 2 years.