5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create CommandBars (2007)

Hi. The CommandBars collection is listed in the Object Browser of Word 2007, but doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to create a CommandBar in Word 2003 and save it with a template. If I then open this template in 2007, will the commandbar be 'active' and able to drive the template with macros? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create CommandBars (2007)

The command bars have been replaced with the Ribbon in most Office 2007 applications. The only toolbar that still exists is the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT), but this is very limited compared to the pre-2007 toolbars.
    To customize the ribbon requires knowledge of XML or using a third-party add-in such as the RibbonCustomizerâ„¢ (there's a free Starter Edition and a more extensive commercial Professional Edition)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW

Prior to moving from 2003 to 2007 my users had a command bar created by an add-in macro when Word was launched. On exiting Word another macro deleted the command bar.

On moving to Office 2007 the command bar is created in the Add-Ins section of the ribbon and works properly. However for some reason rogue commands were also created as identified <!post=here,735800>here<!/post>.
    Regards
    Don

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both.
    I gather using toolbars created in 2003 is not a good long-term solution, as it would require keeping a copy of 2003 to modify the toolbars in future?
    Do MacroButtons work as previously? A (messy) solution might be to put these buttons in a document and use these to drive the templates. Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Macrobutton fields should still work in Word 2007.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

This page has information about customizing the ribbon that is beyond my need to learn.

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

But is sounds interesting and doable.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I was also considering creating a UserForm with a number of command buttons on it. I believe I can show it at startup in Word, make it a suitable size, make it non-modal, etc.. Can you forsee anything wrong with this approach? Andy.