Star Lounger
    Thanks

Checkbox to Flag as deleted (2003)

I am working on an Access database that the users have asked that many of the fields be checkboxes.
    I usually use more dropdowns than checkboxes for lists. In the table for the list, I add a checkbox to every item in the list to flag it as deleted so that it does not show up on the data entry form.
    So it looks like: [ID], [Item1],[delete]

In this table, I need to also flag these check box items as deleted, but with the checkboxes, I am finding that cumbersome.

Do I need to create a "deleted/removed" checkbox for every checkbox - or am I missing something simple?
    Mine is looking like this:
    [ID],[item1],[item1remove], [item2],[item2remove] etc.

Am I going about this correctly?
    Thanks so much,
    Vicky

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checkbox to Flag as deleted (2003)

I'd use a different table structure, if possible:

<table border=1><td align=center>ID</td><td align=center>Item</td><td align=center>Deleted</td><td align=center>1</td><td align=center>Item 1</td><td align=center>x</td><td align=center>1</td><td align=center>Item 2</td><td align=center>*</td><td align=center>1</td><td align=center>Item 3</td><td align=center>x</td><td align=center>2</td><td align=center>Item 1</td><td align=center>*</td><td align=center>2</td><td align=center>Item 2</td><td align=center>*</td></table>
    You'd need only a single yes/no field.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is what I typically do - and will propose to “them”.

I was given this schema from the people who will eventually take my Access database and use MySQL and JSP to create a web app.

The users want checkboxes on the UI.
    Do you think this schema is because they can programmatically take text fields and turn them into checkboxes their form?

Thank you so much for the validation.
    Vicky

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what the client's intention is, but with the design that I proposed it us very easy to create a query that selects all records for which Deleted is False, and use this to display only the 'active' records.