Star Lounger
    Thanks

Messages Self-Destructing Upon Recipt (2003)

Good afternoon.

Earlier today, all of the messages I had received today (only those designated as "Thursday" in the Received column") disappeared. Ever since, all messages I receive disappear as well, whether upon closing after reading, or if never opened. They are not being directed to the Deleted box. They apparently no longer exist.

I checked the E-mail Options settings, and nothing has been set so as to cause the behavior. I have no rules set up to direct messages to specified boxes.

Any ideas as to how the program could have suddenly been reset into this mode? Could a virus have changed a setting somwhere?

Thank you.

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Messages Self-Destructing Upon Recipt (2003)

Check whether a filter is being applied to your Inbox. You can check this in View | Arrange By | Current View | Customize Current View...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Hans.

The Filter is set to "Off".

Kevin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Some other things to try:

- Check whether your .pst file is near the size limit: if you use an Outlook 97-2002 format .pst file, the maximum size is 2 GB (the new unicode .pst format has a much larger maximum size; it's unlikely that you'd ever reach that)

- A thorough scan for malware won't hurt.

- You can also try to repair your .pst file - see How to find and run the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Right click your Inbox, and check Properties | Autoarchive for the remote possibility that youa are contemporaneously Archiving all messages.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and John -

The program passed both the file size and settings tests you suggested. Subsequently, all of the messages from Thursday that had disappeared en mass, as well some that had been pending, appeared in the Inbox. I had closed and restarted the program a few times with no immediate result, but had done nothing else. So I have no idea what happened, or why. But it seems to have been an abberation.

Thank you for your suggestions, which, as always, taught me things I did not know, and may prove helpful in the future.

Kevin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Good that this has resolved itself. I still recommend that you run the Inbox repair tool as Hans suggested, and also run a "Detect and Repair" from the Help menu, in case something is corrupted in your Outlook installation.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS