4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm Back! - File and Print Sharing Set Up

About a month ago I networked 2 XP machines with help from the forum (Post 750,053).

Now one of my new Vista machines is here, and I am having similar problems. My connection to the internet with the new PC was basically plug and play. My connection to other resources on my LAN has not progressed at all.

Here's what my system looks like: Linksys WRT310N router, one desktop running XP wired to it, a second desktop using Vista connecting via wireless. Two printers connected to the wired desktop.

I'm going to want to share both ways eventually, but for right now the key is to get the new wireless/Vista to see some shares and the two printers on the wired/XP.

FWIW: a month ago I connected a wireless XP laptop to the wired XP desktop, and was able to set up file and print sharing on the laptop that worked and still does. I am not too worried about this laptop anymore, and have excluded it otherwise from this post. But, I can use it to check stuff if need be.

So, I think the current problem is mostly about how to get the wireless/Vista to see the wired/XP.

My current situation is that from the wireless/Vista:
    1) Can ping yahoo.com
    2) Can ping IP (of the wired/XP)
    3) Can't successfully ping computername (of the wired/XP)
    4) Net view IP of the wireless/vista to itself works.
    5) Net view IP of the wireless/vista to the wired/XP gets system error 5.
    6) Net view computername of the wireless/vista to the wired/XP gets system error 5.

Going the opposite way from the wired/XP
    1) Can ping yahoo.com
    2) Can't ping IP (of the wireless/Vista) - system error 5
    3) Sorry to be dumb - but where do I even find the computername of a Vista PC?
    4) Net view IP of the wired/XP to itself works.
    5) Net view IP of the wired/XP to the wireless/Vista gets system error 5.
    6) See number 3.

Where should I go from here?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: I'm Back! - File and Print Sharing Set Up

See Troubleshooting file shares on a home network.

NOTE: You can find the computer name for a Vista PC by right click Computer, select Properties. In the left column click Advanced System Settings. Then click on the Computer Name tab.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

* Physical Connectivity:
    o Please describe your physical network configuration (what routers, switches, broadband connectivity etc.)

Router: Linksys WRT310N
    1 Wired XP Desktop, 2 printers wired to it
    1 Wireless Vista Desktop
    1 Wireless XP Laptop

o Do all PCs have ethernet cables connecting them to a common switch or router?
    Only the one
    o Can you see green and orange lights on the network cards and switch, where the ethernet cables plug in? What state are these lights in?
    Yes - all normal.
    * Firewalls:
    o If you have a hardware firewall then check that it allows the PCs to talk to each other
    I don't know what my router does that qualifies as a hardware firewall.
    o If you have software firewalls on the PCs then check that they allow the PCs to talk to each other
    These are turned off on all machines.
    o Make sure you don't have more than one one software firewall on any of the PCs. If you use a third party software firewall then the built-in Windows firewall should be turned off
    Done
    o If you have ever had any other software firewalls installed then check that they have been completely removed
    Done
    o Temporarily turn off all firewalls (disconnect from the internet first if you can)
    Done

* IP addresses:
    o Type IPCONFIG from a command prompt on each PC, what is the IP Address? What is the default gateway address?
    Wired XP Desktop 192.168.1.100
    Wireless Vista Desktop 192.168.1.102(preferred)
    Wireless XP Laptop 192.168.1.101
    Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1 on all three

o Can each PC access the internet?
    Yes
    o Type PING a.b.c.d from a command prompt on each PC, where a.b.c.d is the gateway address from above. What output do you get?
    4 normal replies for all
    o Type PING e.f.g.h from a command prompt on each PC, where e.f.g.h is the IP Address of the other PC. What output do you get?
    4 normal replies for all
    o Type PING computername from a command prompt on each PC, where computername is the Name of the other PC. What output do you get?
    All fail - 4 tries to 2 computers from 3 computers.
    IN EACH CASE, THE FIRST LINE OF THE OUTPUT FROM THAT STATEMENT INDICATES THAT A DNS SERVER AT MY ISP IS BEING PINGED TO FIND THAT NAME (64.78.178.63)

* User accounts:
    o Make sure that you are using the same username and password on all PCs
    Done
    o Make sure the guest account is enabled by typing
    net user guest /active:yes
    This worked on the wired/XP and wireless/XP, but not the wireless/Vista. For that I got system error 5.

to a command prompt on each PC
    o Create a new (temporary) username on each PC, for example Testnet, with the same password, and log in to this account on each PC
    Done
    * Other Diagnostics:
    o Start > Run > NETSH DIAG GUI, Wait for the window, Click Scan your system. Which tests pass? Which tests fail?
    The 2 XP machines passed all the tests.
    On the Vista machine, I got an error message that this command was not found.
    o At a command prompt on each PC:
    + NET USE * /DELETE
    From the wireless/Vista I got "there are no entries in the list"
    From the 2 XP machines, they listed each other, so I chose N (I didn't want to have to reconfigure).
    + NET USE computernameIPC$ /user:username (where computername is the name of the other computer and username is the temporary username). What exact error do you get?
    From the wireless/Vista to the wired/XP, I was prompted for a password, gave one, and got system error 53
    From the wireless/Vista to the wireless/XP, I was prompted for a password, gave one, and got system error 1385 (note that I don't control
    user accounts on this machine, so I can't say I'm doing this one correctly).
    From the wireless/XP to the wireless/Vista, system error 67
    From the wireless/XP to the wired/XP, system error 67
    From the wired/XP to the wireless/Vista I got system error 53
    + NET VIEW computername (where computername is the name of the other computer). What exact error do you get?
    From the wireless/Vista I got system error 5 to both the wired/XP and wireless/XP
    From the wireless/XP i was able to properly view the wireless/Vista, but I got system error 5 when viewing the wired/XP
    From the wired/XP to the wireless/Vista I got system error 53
    + NET VIEW computername (where computername is the name of the computer you are typing on). What exact error do you get?
    Wireless/Vista to itself was fine.
    Wireless/XP to itself got "there are no entries in the list" (I may not have file sharing enabled on that machine)
    Wired/XP to itself got "there are no entries in the list" (I may not have file sharing enabled on that machine)
    o Right click My Computer > Manage > Open Shared Folders

+ Look in Sessions, Does it show a connection from the other computer?
    No for all 3
    + Look in Shares. Does it show the shared folders that you expect it to?
    No for all 3
    * Review the following references to see if they can help you:
    o File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista
    o Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
    o Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
    o How to troubleshoot home networking in Windows XP
    o How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    o You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to access shares on a Windows XP Home Edition-based computer that is connected to a network
    o Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    o Networking between WindowsXP and Windows95/98/ME
    o Error message when you try to access a Windows XP-based network computer: "You might not have permission to use this network resource"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

See StuartR's <post:=750,127>post 750,127</post:> for an explanation of Sytem Error 5 & 53.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

System error 1385 means "Logon failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

With all the other information you have provided there is clearly a problem with the usernames and passwords not matching, or not having rights to access the network. I suspect that the security on this system has been set by a Network Administrator and you will have to ask them to sort out the permissions for you.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think the 1385 is because the setup of that laptop is controlled by my IT department at work. I believe they have some form of masking on passwords or accounts through Novell.

Anyway ... no problem with that error ... I'll figure that out later.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help.

I'm up and running now (sort of).

Frankly, I'm not sure what I did though.

I set up accounts on the new machine along the lines of the testnet account documented in the previous thread. They didn't connect. Not one of them.

But, I still had the testnet account on the wired/XP, so I duplicated that account on the wireless/Vista and it worked just fine. The funny thing is, after setting that testnet account up, the other accounts started working too.

Obviously, I've had a stupid user moment and done something that I can't remember, but I don't know what it was.

Anyway, I will start over with my checks this afternoon, and redocument where I am now in another reply.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. This is strictly from the wireless/Vista to the wired/XP. I am using an account that has the same name and password on both machines. Software firewalls are off.

From the wireless/Vista:
    1) Ping IP of the router - 4 good replies
    2) Ping IP of the wired/XP - 4 good replies
    3) Ping name of the wired/XP - "Ping request could not find host"
    4) Net View IP of the wired/XP - correct list of shared resources
    5) Net View name of the wired/XP - correct list of shared resources

Going from the wired/XP to the wireless/Vista, everything seems OK.

Am I good to go?

I have one problem with a user account though. For all of my accounts but one, Vista shows the wired/XP in the Network window, but won't let me connect without a username/password, or else a batch file that does a Net Use. Except for one. The testnet account that I created seems to be always connected the the shared resources - no password is required.

What's going on?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> The testnet account that I created seems to be always connected the the shared resources - no password is required.

> What's going on?

I would guess that testnet is the only account that exists on both computers with the same username and password.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. So an identical username with different passwords on two PCs on a LAN allows Vista/XP to list the other PCs in the network neighborhood, while identical usernames and passwords automatically connects the PCs on the LAN that share them?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My understanding of this stuff is more pragmatic than theoretical. I know that it all works if you have identical usernames and passwords, but I have never been able to understand all the options and possibilities when they don't match.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would recommend the Network Magic from Cisco (*I don't work for CISCO or have any connection with them*). I was having very much similar problems (& have similar set up) & did not get anywhere with it. Network Magic sorted all my problems out. Of course, I understand that all this should just work from out of the box but unfortunately it doesn't. Stupid networking.
    Thanks.
    Robie