Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No Mouse (XP SP2)

I'm trying to help a lady set up her computer after some weeks of disuse. Everything came up normal except I get no response from the mouse. I tried substituting my own PS2 mouse and then another USB mouse, but the computer simply refuses to recognize any mouse! I tried safe mode with the same result. The BIOS shows that the mouse is turned ON. So I'm at a loss. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks

Re: No Mouse (XP SP2)

Chuck,
    What does Device Manager say?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Not having a mouse and forgetting most of the keyboard shortcuts I couldn't manage to get into the device manager. I'll have to bone up on the keyboard shortcuts.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Control-Escape to get to the start button, arrow keys to get to the run button, Enter key to activate it
    Devmgmt.msc
    Enter key

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

That got me to device manager alright, but once there I found no Mouse deviice listed. Furthermore, when I opened a device there was no associated info on it -- just a blank dialog box with the device name in it. Very STRANGE! At that point I threw in the towel and told the lady that she needed to take it in for service, as it was beyond me. Thanks for your suggestions. At least now I have a completed printed list of all the keyboard commands should I run into any similar problems in the future.