New Lounger
    Gloucester, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

where condition in VB (Access 2000 +)

Hey everyone.

OK, please excuse my ignorance...I want to open a report that shows the records that have a checkbox ticked...I could run this through a macro or query, but I'd like to know how to use the 'where' condition in the visual basic...if i knew this it could save so much time on other functions too!

I already have a select combobox on my form to select the clients' topic e.g. restaurant, this works fine...but if I want to add anything to the where condition it just doesn't like what i put...I think i'm getting confused with sql and just don;t know how to say 'AND logoDisplayed' = yes in Visual basic! I have this so far...

docmd.openreport "myreport", , acviewpreview, "Topic LIKE '" & Combo38 & "'"

any ideas?

Many thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: where condition in VB (Access 2000 +)

The syntax for OpenReport is
    <code>
    DoCmd.OpenReport ReportName, View, FilterName, WhereCondition, WindowMode, OpenArgs
    </code>
    So acViewPreview should come immediately after the report name:
    <code>
    DoCmd.OpenReport "MyReport", acViewPreview, , "Topic Like '" & Me.Combo38 & "'"
    </code>
    If you want to add a condition:
    <code>
    DoCmd.OpenReport "MyReport", acViewPreview, , "Topic Like '" & Me.Combo38 & "' AND LogoDisplayed = True"
    </code>
    Notes:
    - If Combo38 doesn't contain wildcards such as ? or * you might as well use = instead of Like.
    - It's a good idea to give controls meaningful names, for example cboTopic instead of Combo38. This makes it much easier to understand the purpose of the control later on.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks for this...I tried this before and I get an error message..?...well, not quite an error message, but an 'Enter Parameter Value' dialogue box comes up for the LogoDisplayed...?

Thanks for the hints - the now cmboTopic does indeed have wildcard '*' as I've created an 'All' option in the topic list to show all records...hopefully this isn't causing a problem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use a wildcard in the combo box, the use of Like is OK, and it's not the cause of the problem.

If you're getting a parameter prompt for LogoDisplayed, it means that LogoDisplayed is not recognized as a valid field name in the report's record source. So either the name is misspelled, or there is no such field in the report's record source.

New Lounger
    Thanks

oh my goodness would you look at that...what a complete noobie.

well Hans, I had checked the name etc, but not the control source - the problem was that I had a 'space' in the field name...all sorted, working great.

Thanks a lot