2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Web services (2002)

I've been asked to split an .mdb to have the backend sit on Amazon's web services s3 (simple storage services). They currently use a utility called Jungledisk that does the logial drive mapping to the Amazon buckets. I split the database, but the performance is terrible. So far I've not been able to find any help from Amazon or Jungledisk,so I thought I'd try here. I've read from other posts that network configuration is a concern in a split environment. Anyone had experience with this type of setup? Any words of advice are appreciated...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Web services (2002)

According to the reply in Concurrent file access?, JungleDisk is not suitable for use with Access - users would overwrite each other's data.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I have another question. How about splitting the .mdb to an external hard drive? Any experience with that type of solution. It's a small network of 3 users and a small database. Just looking for an inexpensive way to split the database to allow three users share it. Any references or posts you might have on this subject would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I only have experience with split databases on a LAN, with the backend on a network server and the frontend either on the user's hard disk or on a network server.

I once saw a database run on a small peer-to-peer network, with the backend on the hard disk of one of the PCs. Performance was acceptable but not brilliant. An external hard disk might be a limiting factor, but on the other hand today's external hard disks may well be faster than internal hard disks five years ago.

Hopefully someone else will have a reply based on practical experience.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have used split dbs with the backend on the hard disk of one of the PCs in a peer to peer network on a number of occasions. As Hans said the performance is acceptable but not brilliant, but varies according to the speed of the PCs involved.

Are you thinking of an External Hard Disk connected to one of the PCs, or directly to a network device such as a hub?
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You shouldn't really have a problem running the backend database on one of the PCs. That PC will see the best performance, but we've done Peer-To-Peer networks with up to 10 users hitting the same back-end database and had suitable performance. That assumes that only 1 or 2 of the users is doing heads-down data entry. The PCs should all be on the same workgroup of course, and the folder on the PC with the back-end needs to be shared so the users on the other PC can connect to it. The front-end should establish the table connections on one of the other PCs so it sees the network share. If you do encounter performance issues, you might want to look at using an ODBC connection to SQL Server Express 2008 - it has just been released by Microsoft, and it's a free download and will run on a regular PC. See http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2...s/express.aspx The only other issue you may encounter is that of keeping the front-ends current and consistent as you do ongoing development - post back if that becomes an issue.
    Wendell