3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automated Form (2003 SP3)

I'm looking for ways to automate the attached form. All suggestions are welcome. I added the type of fields needed. The current process for this form (in paper format) is to have a cashier fill it out, it's routed to her supervisor for approval, then to AP for processing, and then back to the cashier for filing. We've determined that so long as we can retain the data in an electronic format, the paper version of this form can disappear. Now keeping in mind that the form will be used by personnel that are not computer savvy, what would be the simplest way to automate this form and have it routed for approval (via email is fine).

Thanks.
    Pooja
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automated Form (2003 SP3)

You should ideally use single cells to enter data in, not a space spread out over two or three columns as in your worksheet.
    You can adjust the column widths to make the form look the way you want.

You can force the user to enter a specific type of data in a cell as follows:
    - Select the cell.
    - Select Data | Validation.
    - Select the appropriate type from the Allow dropdown, then specify additional requirements if appropriate.

To prevent the user from messing up the form, you can protect the sheet:
    - Select the cells that the user should be able to edit (you can do this in several steps, if necessary).
    - Select Format | Cells...
    - Activate the Protection tab.
    - Clear the Locked check box.
    - Click OK.
    - Select Tools | Protection | Protect Sheet...
    - You can tick/clear check boxes in order to specify what the user should be able to do.
    - Click OK. You can specify a password if desired.

You can use File | Send To | Routing Recipient... to send the document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should also consider using a data table to assist the user.

Example, when the User puts in the Customer Name, a Vlookup in a table should return the Customer number, customer address, and other standard data. Of course it the key data is the Customer ID number issued by the Company then when that is entered in the form the Vlookup would return Customer Name, Address and other standard data. The cells containing the Vlookup formulas would be locked so that the User could not change the results from the Master Table that contains the Customer Infomration.

Regards,
    Tom Duthie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have been more specific. This form will be used multiple times by quite a few people throughout the day. And the data needs to be captured so that we don't have to print out the document every time. I was thinking more along the lines of going with an Access database and creating a simple form from a table. My hesitation with that was if it's the easiest way for the cashiers to deal with this. Or should I stay within Excel and create a protected form. And if I do stay with Excel, is there a way to get automation on the routing end. Create control buttons for example that they press to indicate something is on the server for approval/processing etc. Since the gurus in this forum know Excel/Access quite a bit more than me, simply want an opinion on which way to go....

Thanks.
    Pooja

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Will all people involved in the process be on the same local network, or will they be spread out over separate networks or stand-alone computers?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Same local network.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, I'd use an Access database. Store the data in a backend database containing only tables, and give each user an individual copy of a frontend database that contains queries, forms and reports (and links to the tables in the backend).
    If not all users have (or can have) Access installed, you could give them the runtime version of Access.