5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 Install Fails (XP Pro, Pre-SP2)

I bought a used Compaq desktop with XP Pro and Office 2003. Microsoft Update wouldn't work for either product, but after chasing down some problems with Services which weren't running properly, I got MsU running OK. Then I set the PC aside for a few weeks.

Yesterday I started it up again, to begin transferring user files from a different PC. Right away ran into problems with Windows Installer Service. Tried running the WI 3.1 update both from the MsU site and from the standalone installer, both failed. Gave up and did a Repair Install of XP. After finishing that, WsU told me there were a ton of updates needed, starting with SP2. So I ran it from the MsU site. Got about halfway through (according to the progress meter) and it halted, showing a small window that just says Access Denied. When I clicked on the OK button in that window, the installation routine reversed itself and put the PC back to its prior state. Tried running the SP2 install from a CD copy, exact same thing happened.

After the second failure, I noticed the MsU icon was staying in the Taskbar. When I clicked on it, it showed 57 updates ready to be applied. Told it to go ahead and all 57 installed successfully. So, hoping the problem with SP2 was solved by these updates, I ran the SP2 update again. Failed just like before. The filename that is showing in the installation window when the Access Denied error happens is MSMSGS.INF.

Anyone got a clue what is happening here, and how I fix it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: SP2 Install Fails (XP Pro, Pre-SP2)

Did you download Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers? I always had better luck with the full install package than letting Microsoft Update try to figure out what to download and install. Also, if you do have problems you will already have it completely downloaded to try again.

Is there some reason you are not installing SP-3? See Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 for more information and Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers to download it.

NOTE: As stated at What Is Service Pack 3? you get free unlimited installation support from Microsoft for SP-3 issues until April 14, 2009.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Did you download Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers? I always had better luck with the full install package than letting Microsoft Update try to figure out what to download and install. Also, if you do have problems you will already have it completely downloaded to try again. <<

Yeah, that's what I used.

>> Is there some reason you are not installing SP-3? See Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 for more information and Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers to download it. <<

Can I jump right to SP3, without installing SP2 first? I'm willing to give that a try, if Windows will let me. But I'm afraid whatever problem is stopping the installation of SP2 will pop up if I try the SP3 install, too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I think you have to have at least SP-1 but not SP-2 to install SP-3. You might want to consider slipstreaming SP-3 and build a new installation CD. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) and Slipstream and Install Windows XP Using SP3 – Two roads to success for more details.

Joe
    Joe