Thread: VOIP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VOIP

Hello everybody,

I have been using Skype over the last few years, and have found that the quality of the VOIP calls has decreased lately, especially in the last few months. My best guess is that it has expanded to so many users that it no longer has the band with to support all of the VOIP phone calls.

At first, I thought it was just my internet at home, but even when I try using it at other places with internet, I find the same problem: the person on the other line can barely hear/understand me.

So I am looking for another VOIP provider. I am considering VOIPCheap (http://www.voipcheap.com), as they tend to make some promises at cheap/free high quality phone calls, but I wanted to post this message to hear back from some of you who might have gone through this already?

Do you have any suggestions/tips on making Skype work better or on finding another provider? Can you suggest other programs?

Regards,

JMT

Thanks

Re: VOIP

I've used Vonage now for 6 years and am extremely happy. They have a mobile solution as well. If you think you are having bandwith problems you can go onto your home page and adjust the bandwith.
    I pay 29.95/mo for unlimited calls, and another 5/mo for a virtual phone number in a different area code. total 34.95/mo. the free calling locations outside the US are listed on their home page and it just keeps expanding.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VOIP

Hello John,

Thank you for your message. I realize, though, that Vonage requires a pretty fast internet connection to function (at least 1000 kbps download speed and 90 kbps (180 recommended) upload speed). My computer is right at the border. I will consider it among some other options.

Regards,

JMT