Thread: Maxtor HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maxtor HD

I pulled two HDs out of a crashed computer. Both are MAXTOR D740X-6L. Both are listed as 40 GB AT. I put each into an external hard drive case - one would simply not be recognized. The other is recognized but when I go to format it - it lists it as having 80 GB capacity. I start the format process and it appears to be formatting but towards the end, it comes up with a message that the format could not be completed. Both hard drives are about 6 years old. Are these worth trying to salvage or should I simply recycle them. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Re: Maxtor HD

trebor,

My guess is that it probably isn't worth it, unless you are trying this just for the challenge.

Assuming you checked the masterslave settings and nothing else is very obvious like broken pins or that sort of thing. Send them on their way.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Maxtor HD

I agree with you. As a volunteer, I "redo" donated computers at the local Humane Society Thrift Store and always try to salvage parts for future use. But in this case, I think I will be able to better spend my time on other projects than this. And besides, I think I have about 30 hard drives sitting in a drawer. Thanks viking.