4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing from XP to Vista

Edited by HansV to provide link to post - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I have a folder set up to share on an XP machine. I have mapped it to a drive letter.

I can see it and read it from my Vista machine. But I can't write to it.

These two machines have the same username but different passwords. Is that the issue holding me back? (see <post:=409,349>post 409,349</post:>)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing from XP to Vista

Apparently not. Now they have the same username and password, and it's still a no-go.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you share a folder in Windows XP you need to set permissions for the share. These are different to the permissions that you already have for the files and folders.

The default permission for shares is read access only, which would give the behaviour you have described. The way you change permissions depends on whether you have XP Home or XP Professional and whether you have configured windows to use Simple File Sharing or not.

You can find instructions for setting share permissions on XP Pro in How to disable simple file sharing and how to set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP.

For Windows XP Home I believe that you need to do this from Safe Mode, but I don't use XP Home so I'm not absolutely sure.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have XP Pro with SP3 on the machine that hosts the shared folder.

I do (and did) have simple file sharing unchecked on that machine.

I am on my Vista with an identical username and password to the XP machine. I have the folder in question mapped to a letter on Vista.

On the XP machine:
    1) The share permissions for this user are all checked (full/change/read).
    2) The share permissions for everyone are only checked for read.
    3) The folder security permissions for this user are all checked.
    4) I have deleted the user "everyone" from the folder permissions for this folder.

And yet ... when I try to edit a file in that folder from the Vista PC, it says I don't have permission.

When I try to add a new file to this folder from the Vista machine, "New" shows up on the context menu (which doesn't show up at all without some access to the folder), but when I actually try to create the new folder, I again run into a permission problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One more tidbit ...

On the Vista, if I navigate to the shared folder through "Network", and right-click, "New" comes up on the context menu, and I am allowed to add a new file.

But ... if I instead navigate to the shared folder through "Computer" and right-click, "New" comes up on the context menu, but if I try to create a new file, I am told I don't have permission from the parent folder (Shared Documents on the XP) of the shared folder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For a start can you change the share permissions to allow Everyone to have Full Control access

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did that before you replied back and it helped a lot. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I think I've got the access figured out (although I'm finding networking to be really counterintuitive).

One more thing though: I didn't give everyone full access before for a reason. Here's my target:

1) We use Eudora as our e-mail client for two people.
    2) We now have two machines set up, with one shared folder on the XP for each of them to contain their private e-mail. Clients for both users on both machines can access those shared folders just fine, through their own user accounts.
    3) What I'm wondering is what would be the easiest fix for User 2 to prevent User 1 from going to either machine and accessing User 2's e-mail folder?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One more thought: as near as I can figure, on the Vista machine that does not host the two shared folders, they will both show up in the shared folders under Network, but only one of them will be accessible to each user because of the security settings on each folder on the XP machine. Is this correct?

And ... if those security settings on the XP are based on user accounts on that machine, User 1 shouldn't be able to see User 2's stuff on that machine either. Is this correct?

FWIW: the only users permission through the security tab for those folders are administrators and the user.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds awfully complex for a home network. If you are trying to run a business network then you really should have a dedicated server, running a server operating system, with Active Directory to control and manage user accounts. This stuff is much easier to do in that environment.

In principle you should be able to do what you are trying here, but since you don't control the user accounts on one of the PCs it is very hard, and may not be possible.

One thing you should do, to help understand what is happening, is to check which username is actually being used for each connection. To do this:
    <UL><LI>Go to the PC that is hosting the shared folders
    <LI>Right click My Computer and select Manage from the menu
    <LI>Click the + sign to expand Shared Folders in the pane on the left
    <LI>Click Sessions in the pane on the left
    <LI>The pane on the right will now show you which user has connected from each remote PC[/list]These are the usernames to which you need to grant permissions.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I think you've given me plenty to think about.

I inquire about the level of security because we have had security violations amongst my family that have led to family fights. Most of these have come from plain old password sharing. Obviously, it isn't worthwhile to get an actual server since that sort of security problem will happen there too.

But, if I've upped/changed the level of security a bit from what we had, and can at least check access after the fact, then it will give me some ammunition - as a parent - for deciding who is in the wrong.

EOM.