Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC-page numbering (2007)

Hello
    I'm having issue with the Table of Contents. When I update my field both page numbers only or update entire table, two of my sheets are missing from the TOC. It goes from page 31 to 34. I did check my page tittle to ensure that it ws a heading 1. What else can I try???

Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC-page numbering (2007)

Is your TOC based on Heading styles, or on explicitly specified styles, or on TC fields?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have a look at the headings on pages 32 and 33.
    What style are they?
    Select Format > Paragraph and look at the Outline level, is this the same as for the headings that behave correctly?
    Right click on your TOC and Toggle Field Codes, what is the field code for your TOC?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The headings for pages 32 and 33 are in the same format as all the other pages.. Arial 9/Heading 1. the field code is HYPERLINK 1"_Toc220488903"...

Thank you Hans & Stuart.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The field code that you posted is the hyperlink for one of the page numbers in the TOC.
    Select the entire TOC, and press Alt+F9 to toggle its field code on and off. You should see something like

{ TOC o "1-3" h z u }

The switches after the word TOC may well be different - that's what we'd like to know.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got the same information { TOC o "1-3" h z u }. Should I delete the whole TOC and start over?

Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that deleting the TOC will help.

You could try deleting the problem headings, then reinsert the headings and set the style back to Heading 1, then rebuild the Table of Contents.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The good news is that the page that I was missing is now appeared . The bad new is that I now have two pages of 30 and two pages of 34. i need a break..this TOC is killing me.

Thank you for hanging in there with me

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am a bit confused.

Does EVERY page in your document have one heading?

Can you visit EVERY paragraph in the suspect pages and make sure that it has the correct paragraph format, and then select all the text from page 30 to page 34 and type Control-Q, this will remove all manual paragraph formatting and set each paragraph back to it's defaults - so if you have any manual bullets or indents they will have to be reapplied.

Did that help? If not then I suspect you may have some very strange document corruption.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah..I was able to figure it out. My co-worker, who works on this report with me, manipulates the tittle somehow that you think that it is on a different page but in actuality it is on the same page...I'll give the evil eye tomorrow.

Thank you for your awesome assistance as well as Hans.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This may be due to different printer drivers. Word repaginates the document according to the current printer driver and optional settings of each instance of Word. The TOC can be refreshed at any time and will do so according to the current pagination. If your co-worker refreshes the TOC and you don't then the pagination may not match the TOC on your PC. The only way to be sure that the pagination matches the TOC is to refresh the TOC on the same PC that you print from.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia