Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Media player for MP3 (Firefox 3.0.5)

I try to install as few programs as possible on my PC, as it makes it much easier to keep up to date with security patches and I think it makes the PC more reliable.

I tried to view a web page that included the following tag...
    <code><embed src=".foldernamefilename.mp3" height="2" width="2" autostart="true" hidden="true" loop="false"></code>
    (there is a real valid foldername and filename that I have edited here)

This page works fine in IE7, and the mp3 file plays in the background as soon as the page loads.
    In Firefox 3, I get a message box saying "Additional plugins are required to play all the media on this page" and when I follow the link it attempts to install Apple Quicktime (which I don't want to install).

I have checked Tools > Options > Applications and Windows Media Player is set as the default for all the media types displayed. How can I get Firefox to play this sound without installing quicktime?

StuartR

Thanks

Re: Media player for MP3 (Firefox 3.0.5)

Firefox generally requires a type parameter in an <embed> or <object> tag in order to match up the media to the correct plugin. You can insert a MIME type using a bookmarklet (test by pasting into the address bar and pressing Enter). Because I do have QuickTime installed, it's difficult for me to test this.

<code>java script:var embs=document.getElementsByTagName("embed");for (var j=0;j<embs.length;i++){if(embs[j].src.toLowerCase().indexOf(".mp3")>-1) embs[j].setAttribute("type","application/x-mplayer2");}; void 0;</code>

Does that work?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that I will have to move this thread in a minute, as I am also responsible for the web site so I guess it needs fixing at the other end.

The site is created using NetObjects Fusion 10.0 and the sound is inserted in the Layout properties, so the only thing I have done is to select the mp3 file for the background sound and I don't seem to have control over anything else.

Suggestions?

StuartR

Thanks

If the program lets you edit in an HTML source view, you could add an appropriate MIME type into the tag. That might be either of the following -- I don't know why there are two of them:

<code>type="audio/mpeg"
    type="audio/x-mpeg"</code>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

Thanks for the help.

The javascript didn't seem to do anything in the browser.
    I tried adding both type="audio/mpeg" and type="audio/x-mpeg" to the source but still get the same behaviour. I have checked with view source at the browser end and I am definitely picking up the updated page.

StuartR

Thanks

It sounds as though Windows Media Player (or whatever non-QuickTime plugin should handle the media) is not registered to handle this media type. If you open aboutlugins and search for those MIME types, do they show up there? If not, perhaps there is an option in one of WMP's dialogs that will trigger it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That was interesting, I have this problem on multiple PCs, so I just checked <code>aboutlugins</code> on the one I am sitting at now.

Windows Media Player is registered for
    <code>application/asx, video/x-ms-asf-plugin, application/x-mplayer2, video/x-ms-asf, video/x-ms-wm, audio/x-ms-wma, audio/x-ms-wax, video/x-ms-wmv, video/x-ms-wvx</code>

Apple Quicktime is registered for lots and lots of mime types including
    <code>audio/x-mpeg, audio/mpeg</code>

This seems a bit odd since I haven't installed Apple Quicktime on any of these PCs, and I do have Windows Media Player installed on all of them

It is starting to look as though this is a browser problem after all.

StuartR