New Lounger

Error! Reference source not found. (Word 2002)

im almost done with writing my diploma in MSword 2002, i have just merged the separately edited parts/chapters into one file [50pages]. i have references everywhere in text, [only the numbers in brackets, referring to a list of articles & books on the very last page - all hyperlinked]. i went through the format one last time and tried to print the file: now every single reference changed to "Error! Reference source not found."! ive tried everything, but didnt succeed...

has anybody got a clue why this is happening and how i can fix it?

many thanks in advance!

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Error! Reference source not found. (Word 2002)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

I fear that the references were already invalid. Printing a document usually forces Word to update all fields, and this made the problem visible.
    It's probably easiest although tedious to create the references anew.

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Error! Reference source not found. (Word 2002)

If you created your references whilst the documents were separate then the references are pointing to a document (and possibly a bookmark within that document). If you then merge the separate documents into one then the references are still pointing to that same external document which may no longer exist. If you reveal the field codes you can see what that are pointing towards.

To solve the problem (without manually recreating every single reference) you will need to fully understand how Word creates and maintains crossreferences. Try reading these posts to get a better idea of how the problem might have arisen and how you may be able to solve the issue
    <post:=286,088>post 286,088</post:>
    <post:=10,135>post 10,135</post:>
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia