New Lounger
    Thanks

Olympus XD Picture Card

I have an Olympus SP-500uz camera and have been using 256 and 128 Mb xd pictures cards for three years with no problems.

I recently bought a new 2 Gb Olympus M+ xd picture card and find that it will not work with my Sandisk card reader. I can still transfer images to my PC using the USB lead supplied with the camera, but when I use the card reader I get a message telling me that the card is not formatted, although I have formatted it in the camera.

Does anybody know if this is a known problem - and more importantly, if there is a solution?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Olympus XD Picture Card

I don't have XD but I wouldn't be surprised if you have a problem like I did recently. I bought a new camera and some 4 gig Kingston SD memory cards that I can use with the camera and my cell phone. My card reader, although it has the right "sized" slot, would not recognize the SD card. Mine wouldn't even offer to format, even though like you I knew mine were already formatted. I ended up having to buy a new external USB multi-card reader that specifically said it's SD compatible.

Working OK except I note that the SD cards are VERY SLOW in transfer of files in either direction.

Thanks

In addition to Al's comments, you may want to check to see if there are any firmware updates for your card reader. Manufacturers will often release firmware updates to enable newer cards to be read.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I think you meant that the new card had to be SDHC compatible. See Secure Digital card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for different nuances.

As far as transfer speeds go, you really need to be aware of the rating card as noted in the wikipedia article. The speeds vary widely. The OEMs are somewhat tricky about their labelling too. Sometimes the card will be labelled Hi-speed (somewhat like the confusing USB tags used to be), sometimes it won't be labelled and will be slower spped and sometimes the card won't be labelled but will be hi-speed.

Joe

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Being the "gadget curious" type I went looking to peek at the camera you bought and came up with this PDF file: http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/...salessheet.pdf.

I hope I'm wrong because like my situation, you said you were able to transfer pix directly from the camera to the PC. But here's a clip from that PDF file that makes it look like 1 gig is the max. for the cards. Am I missing something (I hope)! ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, you're right Joe. An omission of the fingers on my part - my new cards ARE of the SDHC variety. To be honest about it, I didn't even do any of the reading you did on the spec when I bought the camera, so I missed these "fine points" completely. But I had my "old" card reader for quite a long time, and didn't mind replacing it with one that IS compatible with the SDHC standard/spec.

As for the speed thing, I just threw that in for "fun" since transfers from card to computer or vice versa are a once in awhile thing, so I'm usually not in a hurry. I recently bought 3 CDs of a local bluegrass group that I like and ripped them to my PC. I then transferred a bunch of the songs to one of my SDHC cards that I keep in my Palm Treo so I could demo some of the music for a few folks at the nursing home. The songs were transferring very slowly, so I just went to the kitchen, poured a beer (as usual!) and washed some dishes while the card reader did its thing. I NEVER timed it but it did take awhile. I'm NOT an unhappy camper with either my camera or he card reader/cards.

New Lounger
    Thanks

For those who kindly responded to my original post - here is the response from Olympus (I am impressed with the speed of the response, if not the content!)

You should as far as possible avoid card readers, as the card then may get damaged by small bookmarks the reader often puts on the cards.You should also try to remember to format the card in the camera every time it is downloaded to your PC, to keep the card fresh. (Also remember; if the card is formatted by a PC it is for the bin after!) To rescue the images you have on the card I recommend you to download "Smart Recovery" from http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?Language=1 It is for free and in any language.Click the download and choose SAVE. (On for example your desktop)After this download double-click this file to start the installation.After that connect your camera to your PC and launch the software.Tell the software to go through “Removable disk”(i.e. the camera) under “My computer”.The process may take many hours but can find all on your card.If you can not find the camera as “Removable disk”, please write back. If you can not format the card in the camera it is probably damaged from the computer. You could try to format it in another camera. Ask at your local retailer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're satisfied, can't beat that! By the way, I edited your post above to make the link clickable. That software has been mentioned here before and I have it installed on my computer. Like most file recovery software it works well, within the usual limitations.

The one thing I note is that the opinion that the card should not be used in a reader kind of goes against one of the purposes of removable memory cards. But, it's an Olympus product ( xD-Picture Card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) so who am I to argue with their advice.