Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Failure (Vista Home P SP1)

A friend's daughter got a new IBM (Inovo) Think Pad laptop, but it fails to turn on the wireless feature and connect upon boot up. She has to go through a somewhat complicated procedure each time to get it to turn the wireless feature on and then connect. Any suggestions on how to get it to stay on?

Thanks

Re: Wireless Failure (Vista Home P SP1)

What are the procedures involved?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately I can't remember the exact procedure and I'm still a bit green with Windows Vista. I believe I right-clicked on the system tray icon and it brought up a dialog box. Somewhere in the box there is drop down box that says the wirless feature is off. You click the down-arrow and a "wirless on" selectioncomes up. Once turned on you can then go to the wirelss window and find the wireless conection, tell it to connect and it works. However, upon reboot thei wireless feature is off, and you hae to repeat the procedure. So at least part of the solution is to get the wirelss feature to automatically turn on upon booting. I've noted that several laptops have an external button that turns the wireless feature on and off, but I couldn't find on on the Think Pad unit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you checked the BIOS? What is the specific ThinkPad model? Have you checked the Lenovo Support & downloads - Troubleshooting site?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If the network icon is shown in the system tray, all she should have to do is right click it and select connect to network, then a listing of "Found" wireless connections will be shown. Then she needs to select the required one.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

After checking with Lenovo I see that they have some software called "Access Connections" which permits you to set up various so-called profiles for different connection points (home, office,etc.). This is all new to me, but I think this may be part of the problem. Next opportunity I get I'll try running this program and see if the profile(s) are set up. Everything else looks normal. I have seen several postings on the Internet where people have had similar, if not identical, problems with wireless connections on Think Pads.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One should NOT really have any wireless connection to be connected automatically, as it can lead to a security issues.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As it turns out Lenovo installs some software called Vantage Access Connections on laptops where the user can set up "profiles" -- one for each place you would be using the computer such as Office, Home, etc. The lady using the computer was unaware of this feature and had not set up a profile for her internet connection. Once I got it set everything worked normally, i.e. the wireless feature turned on and it found the local wireless access point. Also, we finally located the wireless on/off switch on the front of the laptop -- it was so small that it was very hard to see.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

That is good news. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe