Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting Leading Spaces (2003)

I have hundreds of pages of documents that have a leading space for every line. See attached paragraph.

Is there a quick way to remove those leading spaces? All I can think of is removing each space one at time.
    Obviously this is not very practical.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting Leading Spaces (2003)

Since there is a paragraph mark at the end of each line, a global replacement

of -paragraph marks followed by one space
    with -paragraph marks

should do the trick, for the most part.

1) in the EDIT menu, select REPLACE (this opens the FIND AND REPLACE screen)
    2) in the FIND WHAT box, type the notation for paragraph marks (which is ^p) and then type a space
    3) in the REPLACE WITH box, type just the ^p, being careful to not follow it with a space
    4) press REPLACE ALL

This should replace all of your space leaders except of course those that are not preceded by a paragraph mark. Hopefully your document will offer you another easy way to globally replace those spaces.

By the way, you can also insert such “special characters” as the ^p from the list accessed by pressing SPECIAL in the FIND AND REPLACE window.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Pingdat's suggestion is excellent. Just a small addition: if there could be more than one leading space, you can enter ^p^w in the Find What box. ^w is the code for any white space, i.e. a combination of spaces and tab characters. You'd still use ^p in the Replace With box.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The other suggestions also work but a quicker way is to select all, centre-align (twice). When you centre align a paragraph the leading spacings are removed. Doing the centre alignment a second time will return the alignment to left aligned (appears to be a toggle).

The keyboard shortcuts to do this is what makes it faster than using the search and replace methods. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-E, Ctrl-E
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ctrl+E doesn't act as a toggle for me in Word 2002, so I'd have to use Ctrl+E, Ctrl+L instead of Ctrl+E, Ctrl+E, but that's a neat trick - I didn't know about it!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all who provided answers to my posting. I use Ctrl Shift End to highlight the document and then Ctrl E Ctrl L. Works very nicely.

Thomas Cox