3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

viewing source code

Would one of you clever code writers explain how some websites dont display the source code when viewing page source in a browser? For example this one http://www.tweseldown.co.uk/ if I use IE7 or Firefox and view source I only get a few lines. This is only out of interest as I'm interested to learn more about html and css etc and just like to see how things might be layed out. This one seems to me to be two seperate pages one superimposed over the other somehow?

Thanks

Re: viewing source code

The clue in the word "frameset" which is littered around the source. You have to choose (read, "find a way of obtaining") the correct frame whose source you wish to view. Frames are now, I believe, deprecated.

I've had some success in Firefox by hovering over a menu item, right-clicking, and selecting Open Link in New Tab (or Window)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Understood (sort of) and yes hovering over a menu item in firefox as you suggest works.
    (edit) just tried IE and works in IE also

Thanks

Jeff, the page in the example you provide consists of 3 frames. I think you want to view the frame sources in addition to the page source. Hover over any one of the frames (left: navigation, top right: logo, bottom right: main body), right click, select This Frame > View Frame Source to see the source for that frame. This applies to Firefox. There must be something similar in IE.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In some cases the way the domain name is set up can also make it impossible to see the code. I have a couple of domains set up in this way URL Masking is used and "The domain name remains in the address bar (frames based)" http://www.bilston-online.co.uk this is actually a sub domain of another site I manage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martytoo View Post
    I have a couple of domains set up in this way URL Masking is used and "The domain name remains in the address bar (frames based)" http://www.bilston-online.co.uk this is actually a sub domain of another site I manage.
    Yes, framesets are exactly the topic of this thread, and Paul describes how to view the source of a framed page. Less experienced users may not figure out how to read it, but it's certainly not protected.