5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro Security Patch (Word 97)

After reading Woody's warning about macro security a few weeks ago, we have applied the security patch posted by Microsoft. We now are getting what seem to be false virus warnins messages. Here's what's happening:

There are several template which at one time contained macro code which I have since removed. I understand that the macro flag in those template is "on" and when I open those templates, I get the virus warning message. I expect that.

Since applying the patch, any documents based on those templates, when saved and re-opened, are causing the virus warning message to appear. This doesn't seem to make any sense.... documents based on a template don't inherit macros, and I wouldn't think that the macro flag would be "on" any more than it would be in a document which was based on a template that did have macro code, and still does have.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be occurring? We have discontinued distribution of this patch while trying to find the answer.

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Thanks

Re: Macro Security Patch (Word 97)

You could try attaching these documents to your Normal.dot template. Whenever a document is opened, it links to its base or attached template and in some sense that template is opened as well. If the template gives you macro warnings, the documents based on that template will do the same so long as the documents remain attached to the template.

Unlike Word 2000+, Word 97 doesn't recognize digital signatures. However, my copy doesn't set off macro virus alerts for templates that are in my user templates folder or a subfolder to my templates folder. The same is true of those in my workgroup templates folder.

I would suggest putting your template in your workgroup templates folder. See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot. This also includes how the files are organized under File New and the location of template folders which varies not only by version of Word but also by operating system.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks... that was it. Word considers a template stored in the stated templates folder to be "trusted" and templates stored elsewhere as "untrusted." My VBA code bases documents on templates that are not stored in the usual location. I think if I change the DOT to DOC files the association will not be made and we won't get the error.

Thanks

Nope. Changing a file from .DOT to .DOC changes the icon that is displayed by Windows. It doesn't change the file into anything other than a template and Word will read it as a template.

You can create a new document based upon your template and save that document. Then change the attached template to Normal.dot.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I understand. I didn't mean I'd "change" it by "renaming" it.... I meant I'd revise my method and create a DOC file to use instead of the DOT file.

Thanks.