Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Port (release/renew)? (Vista Home Premium)

Hi,

I have a 3G modem that slots into a USB port (that I use with my laptop to chat with you guys on my favourite site). The software that came with the modem allows me to connect and disconnect as needed based on my browsing times.

My question (problem) is:
    When I disconnect and after a time come back to my laptop, I click on the connect button on the modems interface. Generally it connects without a problem and I am up and away. However, many times it pops up a error message to say that the port is already in use. The only way I can currently fix this is to pull out the modem, wait a bit for the software to close and then put the modem back into the port. I was wondering if there was a way to simply release/renew the port so I did not have to pull out and put in the modem all the time. I know that network connections have this release/renew on ip addresses, so is there a way to do this with USB ports on the PC too.

TX
    Regards,
    Rudi

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Port (release/renew)? (Vista Home Premium)

Have you tried going to Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network Connections and then right clicking on the connection, disabling it, and then re-enabling it? Are you indeed talking about a modem and not a NIC (network interface card)? If you've terminated a prior call then I'd be concerned that someone is connecting to the machine if the port is busy. Do you have auto-answer ON?

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

AFAIK it is a modem. See the pic for the exact item I have.

I have not tried the disabling option you pointed out. I have always just used the connect.disconnect option from the interface software of the modem. I did try to go to the place that you pointed out>>> Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network Connections and then right clicking on the connection, disabling it

I do not have this option:
    In Vista HP I think it is something like: Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Centre | View Network Status and Tasks. In here I can disconnect. But you pointed to disable??

I appreciate your assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Rudi

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. I left something out. Go to Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center. Then in the left panel there should be a link named "Manage Network Connections". Click on it. Then you should be able to right click the conneciton etc.,etc.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I'll see if this works when that problem occurs again. TX for the advice!
    Regards,
    Rudi