3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Start Up Problem (XP - SP3)

Today, after using Word the entire day, I got the "Word has encountered a problem and needs to close..sorry for the inconvenience......" message. So, it closes and then tries to redeem my files, tries to open and I get a message asking if I want to start Word in Safe mode because Safe mode will help me correct of isolate the start up problem; if I say yes, it opens in Safe mode; if I say No, the problem repeats itself over and over. Finally, I went into Add Programs and let it repair Office; that did not work; I then uninstalled Office and reinstalled it - that did not work. At the end of the day, I left the computer defragging and can only hope.

My anti-virus software is up-to-date and in fact, I had also had a problem with that because McAfee said a file was corrupted, so with a tech online we did an uninstall and reinstall - it scanned and everything seems to be OK from that side.

Has anyone experienced this problem with Word; does anyone have a clue what I should do?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Word Start Up Problem (XP - SP3)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 27-Jan-09 22:14. )</P>Safe mode will disable your Word add-ons, so if Safe Mode works, one of your add-ons might be at fault.

Added: If you have not reviewed this post for a while, it might be a good time: Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen similar symptoms when a specific file causes Word to crash. If I clear the check box asking Word to recover my files then it starts fine.
    Do you have a good backup of this file?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea what file is involved. This happens when I load Word, before any file is opened. I tried clearing that box whenI got the error message and that did not help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for leading me in the right direction. As I was following the instructions in "Systematic Method of Fixing Common Problems, I go to thinking and went looking for normal.dot - my computer did not find it, even though I found a normal.dot in the templates folder. In any case, I deleted the old normal.dot and created a new normal.dot and now everything is working just fine.

Thanks again.