2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe 8 Standard

Greetings and salutations!
    I have set the security settings in Adobe 8 to allow printing only, however, when I view the settings I see that the "Extract Pages" is allowed. I've gone through all of the settings in the PREFERENCES and cannot locate a switch/setting etc. that will turn off the "Extract Pages".
    Am I missing something simple, like "Extract Pages" must be allowed to allow printing? Or am I missing a setting some where?
    thanks in advance for your time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adobe 8 Standard

I run with Acrobat 8 Professional so I'm not sure if the features regarding security are the same. Having said that, the following is shown in the A8Pro Help area:

[i]Note: The creator of a PDF document can set the security to prevent the extraction of pages. To view the security settings for a document, choose File > Properties, and select Security.[i]

Cheers, Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This screenshot is from Acrobat 8 Standard, after clicking the Change Settings button on the screen that Bob showed you.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart.

I was going to take that extra step but wasn't sure if there were differences between the Pro and Standard versions regarding the changes to security.

In hindsight, I should have added that step and let the OP report back.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob and Stuart,
    Thanks for the posts but I still get the same when I view the settings. I would think the NONE in the second drop down box means just that. Oh well, I'll just wait and see.
    Again, thanks for the posts.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, just ran a test, albeit with Acrobat 8 Pro. However, it would appear that Stuart's reply regarding the Standard version should also work.

I opened up a PDF document that I had created a couple of years ago. Selected File | Properties | Security.

Then selected the Password Security option under the Security Method.

In the Password Security - Settings area I checked the Permissions box, entered a password and left Printing Allowed and Changes Allowed as None.

Then clicked on OK (a few times) to back out.

Saved the document, and checked the Properties. I did not see what I expected to see... as you did. All Restrictions were shown as Not Allowed - except the Page Extraction.

I then closed the document and re-opened it. Checked the Properties and this time the Page Extraction was Not Allowed. Then went to the various main menus - File | Edit | View | Documents etc., and all expected sub menus were greyed out.

Try it and see what happens.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    I tried the same - open, protect, save, close-out-Adobe, re-open Adobe, re-open the file, view its properties - and presto. You are correct. The page extraction is not allowed.
    My issue now becomes a non-issue, thanks to you. Have a Great Day. Mine will be a little bit better because of your post and issue solving.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting back and glad its now working for you.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    Since you helped last time, want to try another?
    In Adobe 8, when adding text via the Text Box tool. I cannot change the color of the text to black. Any ideas?
    I can change: 1) the color of the box outline, 2) the opacity, 3) the fill, but I cannot change the actual typed in text. In the PREFERENCES I have changed all of the setting in the Document Colors Option (under ACCESSIBILITY) to no avail.
    Any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure about the Standard version, but here's a cut-n-paste from the Pro Help segment:

Add a text box
    1. <LI>Choose Tools > Comment & Markup > Text Box Tool .
      <LI>Click in the PDF.
      <LI>Choose View > Toolbars > Properties Bar, and set the color, alignment, and font attributes for the text.
      <LI>Type the text. Text wraps automatically when it reaches the right edge of the box.
      <LI>(Optional) To make further changes to the text box:
      Using the Select tool or the Text Box tool, click an edge of the text box to select it, and then drag a corner to resize it. Use the Properties toolbar to change the border and fill options.

Double-click the text box to edit the text or change the text attributes. Drag across text to select it, and then select options from the Properties toolbar.

<LI>To delete the text box, right-click/Control-click the text box, and then choose Delete.
    Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A Toolbar inside a Text Box. Who whooda thunk.
    I'm so impressed.

Where will the Maple Leafs and/or Canadians finish in the hunt for Lord Stanley's Cup?