New Lounger
    Thanks

Whazzzzz up with Office?

I'm getting really frustrated with Office. When starting Word or Excel (both version 2000 SR-1), I get the error,

"This program has performed an illegal operation."

Under details I get the message

"WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in
    module VBE6.DLL at 014f:65025bab."

So then I tried starting WORD program with the /a switch, and it started fine.

So, by this time I'm getting really frustrated. I think . . . go ahead and reinstall but use the FIX option on the setup menu. I try this and get yet another error message:

"Error 1911 Could not register type library for file C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedVBAVBA6VBE6EXT.OLB."

There seems to be some problem with VBA or VBE but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Does anyone dare tackle this one?

Ed

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Whazzzzz up with Office?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ed:
    Since you do not get the problem with the /a switch, there are 2 probable causes:

1. A corrupt normal.dot Check this first by closing Word, renaming normal.dot to abnormal.dot, & restarting Word. If the problem goes away, the cause was a corrupt normal.dot. You can then start copying styles, autotext, toolbars, & macros from abnormal.dot to the new normal.dot, using the Organizer. However, be careful...do it one at a time. Otherwise, you may copy the corruption in.

2. If that doesn't work, the most likely culprit is an add-in program. Look in the Word startup directory & see what is loading with Word. Rename or remove it, one at a time, to find the culprit.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help.

EmilyS

I have a similar problem, but where do I find the Word startup directory?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In Office 2000, it's located at

C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftWordSTARTUP

I don't have Office 97, but it may be in the same location. The easiest way to find any folder whose location is unknown is:

1. Click the taskbar.
    2. Press F3 (the Find dialog box appears)
    3. Type the name of the folder or file.
    4. Make sure the 'Look in" box is set for the correct drive & that "search subfolders" is ticked.
    5. Click "Find Now"

Once you find it, you can open it. You can also copy the complete path to the clipboard by:

1. If you have Power Tools installed, there should be a "Send to clipboard as name" option.
    2. Otherwise, open Start/Run & delete anything that's in there.
    3. Drag the file or folder from the Find box or Windows Explorer to the Run box. It will highlight the entire path & you can copy it to the clipboard.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Or you can install this little "Freebee" CopyPath found on ZDNet @ http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,,001DB5,.html