New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Software Compatibility

How can I determine which of my current software programs (running under WIN 98) will run under XP? There was a program to determine WIN 2000 compatibility but I haven't found one for XP.

Jim Talbert

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Software Compatibility

I would see whether MSFT has a software compatabiliy list for Office XP.

They might also have a Win XP readiness program analogous to the Win 2000 readiness program. I did not find the latter useful.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There is and has been a hadrware and software Compatability checker on all of the CD's provided during the "Beta" and I am surprised that it has not been post as of yet.

Now that the "Gold" has been released to the OEM's, the hardware and software makers are going to be able to get their stuff ready for the retail release. They like to be able to get their stuff on the "Retail" CD's if possible. The MS team may be trying to update it before the "Retail" release on Oct 25th.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

ileacy

Dave, I have been using the working assumption that anything that is W2K compliant should be WXP compliant.

Comments?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"that is W2K compliant <font color=red>should </font color=red>be WXP compliant" that is more or less correct.
    I have found that some of the CD burner drivers are NOT.

ileacy

Ok, so I will reword my assumption. Any W2K compliant application that does not significantly depend on the HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer) will very likely work without change on Windows XP. CD Burners and Backup software, eg., need to be tested specifically for compliancy.

Does that sound better?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do not believe that you can rely on that assumption.
    Best to check hardware and software compatability lists at MSFT, if such lists exist.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This might help <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_foundations.asp> Paul Thurrott </A>

Hopefully MS will be posting the harware and software checker that is on the beta CD's.

ileacy

Thanks for the info Dave.

It leaves me with a good feeling of comfort for mainstream applications and devices. I am still going to research and pre-test where possible my critical functions.

This is important to me as I want to migrate my, and my client systems ot WinXP ASAP. Just to be on the safe side however, I am going to set the goal as early 2002 for implementation with any new purchases at least W2K compatible.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

As a note, I have been running Beta XP since before RC1 and have installed ALL builds that were available to download. The only hardware problem that I have had is with my "HP CD_Writer 8200" USB connection. I have not been able to get it work and HP has not released any new drivers as of yet. Some of the other beta testers were able to get it to run. Also the Roxio software does not work, even version 5 is not any better.

All other software that I have running under Windows 2000 works great. Take notice that Norton's does not run but they have released a 2002 version that does. I have have had some minor problems with some of the older builds but they have all been taken care of.

I have been running build 2600 (RTM) since the day after the release (could not get in to download) and it is running like it was designed to. I have 2 clients running RC2 and are running big tax programs. These were running on Win 98 and 2K before. Set up a dual boot with Win 98 and XP and the clients have been playing with XP and like it very much. We will most likley be going to XP Pro before December. This will give them time to check out their new OS and the new TAX programs before the start of the tax season.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

correction - some roxio v5 works, just do a custom install and don't bother with direct cd - it does not work.

i've been doing a custom install of only ezcd for several builds without problems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Read on CNet that Microsoft will release Compatibility Check program sometime in middle of September. It will be available for download or on CD's (apparently free at any retailers).