2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making bitmaps flow with text? (2003 SP3)

Hi there,

I am pasting bitmap images (screenshots) into some instructional text I am writing in Word. I need to use bitmaps, as the quality of other image types (e.g. metafiles, JPGs, etc) is unacceptable.

The bitmaps look great, but unfortunately they don't behave the way I'd like.

Let's say I have text above the bitmap. If I add some sentences to that text, the text flows UNDER the bit map ("under" meaning the text is pushed into the same area as the bitmap, with only the bitmap visible). So this text gets hidden.

If I want text appear to below the area occupied by the bitmap, I have to add a lot of blank paragraphs between the end of the text which is visible above the bitmap until I reach the bottom of the area occupied by the bitmap.

This in itself is not so bad, but if I change, say, the font, font size or do anything else to alter the number of lines of text, I have to manually adjust the position of the bitmaps and hunt for text obscured by them.

I'd like bitmaps to behave the way, say, a metafile would -- if you add a line of text above a metafile, all text and the metafile shift position down a row.

Is there a way to do this?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making bitmaps flow with text? (2003 SP3)

From your description, I gather that the pictures are floating above the text. I prefer to place pictures inline with the text, usually in a paragraph of their own. To do so:
    - Click on a picture to select it.
    - Select Format | Picture...
    - Activate the Layout tab.
    - Select "Inline with text".
    - Click OK.
    The picture will now behave like an oversized character.

Note: if you have set Line Spacing to Exactly for the paragraph containing the picture, the picture may be truncated. To correct this, select Format | Paragraph, and set line spacing to Single.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add on what Hans has said, there is also Text Wrapping. This causes text to wrap around the pictures no matter where you position the pictures in the document. For illustration purposes this can look really professional. Once the picture is in the document, right click on it and select "Picture Toolbar". On the toolbar will be a button called Text Wrapping. Experiment with the options on the toolbar.
    Regards,
    Rudi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved! Hans, you're a Word expert as well as an Excel guru? I didn't know you were a multiinstrumentalist. Rudi, your tip was valuable too, you're right, it looks very slick.

Thanks both of you!

Lingyai