Lounger
    Thanks

Word Wrapping (Word 2003)

I have some fairly large text documents that were composed ending each line with a paragraph marker. I would like to remove those paragraph markers so that text will wrap for various window sizes. The actual paragraphs are marked with an additional paragraph marker. I know how to search for and remove paragraph markers, but how do I retain the actual paragraph separation when I do so?

Thanks
    Thomas Cox

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Wrapping (Word 2003)

Go to the start of the document (Ctrl+Home).
    Select Edit | Replace or press Ctrl+H.
    In the Find what box, enter ^p^p
    (^p is the code for a paragraph end)
    In the Replace with box, enter @@@@ or something else that doesn't occur in the document.
    Click Replace All.
    In the Find what box, enter ^p
    In the Replace with box, enter a space.
    Click Replace All.
    In the Find what box, enter @@@@ or whatever you used above.
    In the replace with box, enter ^p
    Click Replace All.

Thanks

Re: Word Wrapping (Word 2003)

The usual scenario is that you want to remove paragraph breaks except where there are two in a row, in which case you want to preserve one. Does that match your requirements? The usual approach is to use Find and Replace. First replace <code>^p^p</code> with a string that is unique and does not occur elsewhere in your document, such as <code>$%^&</code>. Then replace <code>^p</code> with a space to wrap everything else. Then reverse the first step and replace <code>$%^&</code> with <code>^p^p</code>.

Note: if the special character ^p doesn't seem to match, the document might have been saved on Linux or Mac and thus not match the traditional Windows coding. In that case, starting by replacing <code>^13</code> with <code>^p</code>.

Does that work?