pd374

default Mail Client (OE 5.00)

I recently upgraded to Windows 2000 Pro and installed Outlook Express. When I try and click on an email link embedded in a received email the following messages appears; "could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not installed"
    I navigated to the tools, options, general tab and the box that says "Make Default " next to "This application is the default Mail handler is grayed out.

I have researched the Microsoft knowledge base and I am unable to find a solution. I would appreciate anyones help who might have a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: default Mail Client (OE 5.00)

Open IE and make sure that your accounts are there. If not set them up.
    Also remember that Windows 2K set us seperate files for each USER account as they (the user)logs into Windows 2K.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

pd374

Dave: Thank you for your response to my question. I did check in IE properties and under the programs tab it does list outlook express as the mail program. I also logged in as the administrator and set up an email account. When I selected the general tab under options, the box that allows you to make Outlook Express the default mail handler is also grayed out.

Do you have any other suggestions? Again, I appreciate your help.

Ira Eichenfield

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Before you upgraded to Windows 2000 what operating system and emailer were you using?

How did you install Outlook Express?

Do you have MSN, AOL or any other ISP type of software installed on this machine?

pd374

Dave: I did not upgrade to Windows 2000, I re-formated and installed a clean copy of the operating system. I installed Outlook Express through the Windows update page. I chose to install IE6 which includes Outlook Express. Before the reinstall I was using IE6 also. I have tried reinstalling IE6 and Outlook Express using the IESetup.exe file located on my local hard drive. This has has no effect.

Thanks again for your response. If you have any additional suggestions I would appreciate your time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried to run the "Repair"?

If not go to the "control panel", add/remove app's, and then select IE 6.0.
    Then select the remove button and you will get a pane with repair listed.