R Stovall

Freezing Problems

When I'm accessing the internet through IE or other applications like Outlook my system will freeze after a period of using the application. Sometimes it's within a minutes other times after an hour or so. It always starts off with the system appearing to lose its connection to the internet i.e. it says it can't find a page or if in Outlook the graphics being pulled off the web are just red X's. If I continue for a while longer my system will lock up or strangely enough it's like it drops out of windows completely going to a black screen with a blinking cursor but no response. I've completely reloaded Windows many times after a format of the drive and it still happens. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help that can be given.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Freezing Problems

Who is your ISP?

You may be timed out by your ISP. Also check to see if your Outlook is set to disconnect after checking and sending e-mail.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

R Stovall

Thanks Dave,

My ISP is @Home, a cable modem, and is always on. The system is part of a home network and the other computers continue to see @Home even when this one freezes up.

Any other suggestions?
    Ross

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When this happens, are the lights on the modem going crazy?

If so, Code Red may be out looking for a server. I have had this happen to me several time and AT&T has stated that Code red is still out there looking. Code Red will tie up all of the ports so we are get DOS, denial of service.

Also you my have been on line when your ISP and/or @home was out looking for servers running Windows 2000. Per the contracts people are not to be running servers on the cable hookups unless they are paying to do so. This has been a source of the Code Red hiding and then coming out for another attack.

R Stovall

Hi Dave,

What is Code Red? My system is not a server. I have a residential gateway that is the connection point to @Home for all my systems. My other 2 systems never have a problem. It's just this one. I don't know if the lights on the modem are going crazy when this occurs. I'll check next time it happens.

Thanks again.
    Ross

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Where have you been. Code red has been in the front lines in all most all of the news world wide.
    Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-19.html> Code RED</A> Advisory CA-2001-19 "Code Red" Worm Exploiting Buffer Overflow In IIS Indexing Service DLL.

How are your other systems connected to the modem? By the way of a Router/hub sharing a network?

Also do you have any firewall software running? If so are the settings different on this machine?

R Stovall

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information page. I do recall seeing some of the Code Red news articles but I didn't pay close attention because all my systems are running Win98SE.

The network I'm running is a wireless network from Dell that Lucent (Orinoco) makes for Dell. They call the router/hub a residential gateway. The cable modem is hooked up to the residential gateway. @Home sees the residential gateway as my only system. I think it has a rudimentary firewall built in but I'm not sure.

The system that's having the problem is running Norton Internet Security as the firewall. The other systems that are running OK do not have it.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Ross

ileacy

I think you may have answered your own question. Try removing Norton Internet Security and seeing if the problem goes away.

I use the free version of <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=11140&page=&vie w=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Zone Alarm</A> on a variety of systems behind a LinkSys router/switch without problems. Only configuration issue is to make sure your local LAN is enabled for file sharing.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Let me throw my hat in here... I appear to be facing the same problems , however I'm running Windows ME, and using ZoneAlarm.

I was told by my ISP (Sympatico) that I have been hit by Code Red, but from what I understand, I'm not a target of CodeRed, as I'm running ME, and I'm not running MS IIS (or is it ISS)???
    Christopher Baldrey

Super Moderator
    Thanks

BUT Code Red is looking for a server and checking ALL ports which can take a long time. So your connection is very busy until it (Code Red) quits looking. It will not know that your do not have a server unitl it checks all ports and gets in to verify that there is not one there.

R Stovall

Dave and Ileacy,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I disabled Norton Internet Security and my system hasn't frozen over the last few days and it certainly would have during that time period if that wasn't the problem. I appreciate the pointers. This has really been an issue for me for quite awhile. Now I just need to figure out if I really need a firewall at all behind what's in the Residential Gateway.

Thanks again for your help.
    Ross

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"if I really need a firewall at all behind what's in the Residential Gateway" <big><font color=red>YES</font color=red></big>

I use ZoneAlarm, the freebie, on top a hardware router with a cable connection. Do NOT trust your system to some one else to protect it.

ileacy

The residential gateway probably gives you a good inbound firewall via NAT translation, however, you still need protection from outbound viruses, eg. Sub7 trojans.