Thanks

Changing Default Font (Outlook 2007)

I am using the downgraded to Windows XP version of Vista and Office 2007. Also Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange. I am trying to change the default font in Outlook by going here: Tools/ Options/ Mail Format/ Stationary/ Personal Stationary and changing the settings under new mail and replying. When I close Outlook, it reverts back to what it was before I changed it. I noticed in the font options window that the default button is grayed out. Thanks for your help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Changing Default Font (Outlook 2007)

The grayed out selections in this part of the dialog are usually an indicator that Word 2007 is not available as the default Outlook 2007 editor. If you have Office 2007 including Word 2007, and no other versions of Word installed, have you tried the Help | Detect & Repair feature in Outlook?

You might also try setting the fonts you want by setting up a template: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/...2450041033.aspx
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, but still doesn't work. Template idea would probably work but would require more steps in creating emails. And that would not tell what the problem is.

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you checked to make sure that the userid has write permissions to all the Outlook folders? See Where does Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 save my information and configurations? - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online for a list of locations.

Joe

Thanks

Yes, full permissions. I've sent out a call to our offsite tech support. They had no ideas either. Hopefully once onsite, they can start digging around and find the answer. Thanks for your help!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do you perhaps have Options set to Plain Text? If so, the fonts selection is greyed out and cannot be changed. You can only set, and retain a new default if in HTML or Rich Text mode.

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Just a note that I also have the Default button grayed out. I think this might be due to Outlook re-using a Word dialog, but that's just a guess. That does not seem to have any effect on my ability to change fonts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Bob, I have it set to HTML. I tried both plain text and rich text; still the same.

I've read that Outlook by default uses Word as the email editor. I also read that it can't be changed. I don't know what, if anything, that may have to do with this scenario.

Thanks

I had our offsite tech in today to dig around. He could not come up with a solution either. Our next attempt will be to try to contact Microsoft. If anything comes of that, I'll let you know.

However, he was able to find a couple of workarounds. He chose a theme with a plain white background and changed the fonts in the theme. Surprisingly, however, was the below oddity that worked on some workstations but not others.

Choose a theme, select "use my fonts", and change the font. Close Outlook and reopen. Go back to themes and change it to "No Theme." Then go down to the font options for new messages and also replying to messages, etc. Pick the font of your pleasure. Close Outlook and reopen. Happily the fonts stayed, even though "No Theme" was still selected. Weird, huh! But as I said before, it worked on some workstations, but not all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to miladytn For This Useful Post:

RLSnow (2014-01-24)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You might try selecting a theme as a test. Themes come with different fonts and I think the fonts, once you are using a theme, can be changed to give you a personal theme.