2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

International user base? (2003 sp3)

Am I correct in assuming that a user base that encompasses four or five continents is beyond the capability of an Access-only front-end/back-end application?
    Is an Access front-end, SQL Server back-end application even adequate? I'm not talking about a huge number of concurrent users, just far-flung, perhaps in neighborhood of 10-15 simultaneous users.
    Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: International user base? (2003 sp3)

Using an Access frontend/backend over a long distance connection will be very very slow.
    An Access frontend with a SQL Server backend should be OK, provided that you use pass-through queries (i.e. queries that are executed on the server instead of by Access.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, Hans. That's sort of what I was thinking although I do have applications that have users scattered across the U.S. and Canada and for the most part they enjoy satisfactory performance communicating with a back-end Access .mdb in Chicago.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Internet speed across continents is a lot lower than within a country such as the USA. I get about 15000 - 17000 kb/s download speed within Europe (I live in The Netherlands) but only 1000 kb/s from Chile...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point; and I see a fairly wide range of speed experienced by the various users of my apps, not necessarily proportionate to the distance each of them is from Chicago.
    Thanks again for the input.