Lounger
    Thanks

Beta DirectDraw Expired

Since yesterday on both my laptop and 'big' computer (Windows98 2nd E- millennium) I repeatedly get the following at odd times "Beta DirectDraw has expired Please update"
    where, and how ??
    Please anyone help!!
    Jules

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Beta DirectDraw Expired

Your computers have been running copies of "Beta" software and the clock has run out. You need to find out where it came from and try and upgrade it.

A search at "Google.com" comes up with a link that has been shut down.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is that I can not find the software that is using'Beta directdraw'
    how do i find it?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Sorry to say, but this sounds very odd to me. Direct Draw is part of the system, and can hardly have been released as a beta version if you're using a released version of Windows. As a couple of preliminary steps :

<UL><LI>Run a virus scan, using up to date software
    <LI>make sure your Windows disc is the genuine article (though I'm sure it will be)
    <LI>Search the Microsoft Knowledge base for 'Direct Draw'
    <LI>Contact Microsoft with your problem[/list]

Lounger
    Thanks

why both machines? one running Windows 98 and the other Millennium. No viruses. Must be some program. Read somwhere that it is a Macintish file- so uninstalled quicktime on laptop as a trial but made no difference. All programs function well but every now and then ,particularly when open media programs it comes up "Beta DirectDraw expired" but thne all works well!!!

ileacy

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q179/1/13.ASP>Q179113</A> gives you instructions on how to get the latest DirectX.

DirectDraw is a component of DirectX.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dr Jules
    If you don't want to download Direct 8.0a (it's rather large) on the October PCPro cover disc is the CD version. However, I still don't understand the 'beta' error message. Even if the Direct Draw components of DirectX need updating, I've never had this particular message.
    ps as Ileacy says, DirectDraw is part of Windows, not a Mac issue. You haven't, by any chance, upgraded by a less than usual route? You haven't copied Win 98 files over to your ME directory or anything like that?

Rgds

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I found the following at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DirectDraw.html> DirectDraw</A>

DirectDraw

A software interface standard for transferring video processing from a PC's CPU to the video adapter. The standard was first developed by Intel and called the Display Control Interface (DCI) and is now supported by Microsoft with the name DirectDraw as a registered trademark.

When the CPU is not busy, the Windows Graphics Display Interface (GDI) updates the video display. If the CPU is busy, the DCI driver allows an application to send update information directly to the video adapter. DirectDraw can also provide applications such as games direct access to features of particular display devices.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.