Thanks

Recovering ability to see BBC videos (Fx3.0.5->3.0.6)

I report this because other people may have had a similar problem when viewing streamed audio and video in Firefox on some systems, YouTube and Speedtest.net, perhaps, but in my case the audio "Listen Again" facility, short videos on news pages, and the BBC iPlayer (audio and video) of the BBC Radio, News and TV websites.

A number of software changes had gone on on my PC which I won't bore you with, but the effect was that, within Firefox:
    <UL><LI>audio played in Real Alternative (alternative to Real Player, surprise!) rather than Windows Media Player or iPlayer
    <LI>video clips from BBC News webpages did not play at all
    <LI>BBC TV programmes just gave a (mostly) black screen in BBC iPlayer[/list]The suggested 'fix' was to uninstall and reinstall (the newest version of) Adobe Flash Player from Firefox - this didn't work, not only once, but multiple times.

I found that the only way to recover normal sound and vision delights was to
    1. <LI>delete all the cookies with "bbc.co.uk" in them (Tools -> Options -> Privacy tab -> Show cookies, then select each xxxx.bbc.co.uk cookie and click on the Remove Cookies button)
      <LI>clear the Firefox cache (Tools -> Options -> Privacy tab, tick the box in front of "Ask me before clearing private data" -> Clcik on the Clear Now button, and clear all ticks in the Clear Private Data window except the tick in front of Cache, then click the Clear Private Data Now button)
    Following this, everything started working magically the way it had done before.

I don't know whether choosing just one of those two actions would have achieved the same result, and there are probably quicker/neater ways of doing it, but "it worked for me", and I was able to watch the last quarter of the SuperBowl on BBC One (as loved by all discerning badgers)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks

Re: Recovering ability to see BBC videos (Fx3.0.5->3.0.6)

When you say "(as loved by all discerning badgers)...", are you referring to the Superbowl or the Beeb?

I installed Fx 3.0.6 when it first came out and haven't experienced any problems with YouTube, Speedtest or video clips at the BBC news site. I do not have the BBC iPlayer, so I can't comment on that.

It's not clear to me if you suspect Fx 3.0.6 or the software changes on your PC as the culprits.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

<hr>When you say "(as loved by all discerning badgers)...", are you referring to the Superbowl or the Beeb?<hr>
    I was deliberately being vague, but both apply.
    <hr>It's not clear to me if you suspect Fx 3.0.6 or the software changes on your PC as the culprits.<hr>
    I have no idea how the problems took place; all these facilities are available in browsers, so the post was made in case anyone had a similar problem to mine in Firefox.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

> in case anyone had a similar problem

That would be me. Thanks, John.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS