2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Warm reboot hangs

I have W2000 Pro. It has never, from day one (3 years) performed a warm reboot without haging just before the keyboard should blink. This forces a cold reboot and consequent disk checking. I now, as a habit, always shutdown and restart. It's annoying, though, because I cannot leave software installation on "automatic" as the usual reboots fail. Any ideas? I'm on a small peer to peer network, keep pagefile on a dedicate partition, 384 mb ram. Also, the machine refuses to hibernate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Warm reboot hangs

Turn off all and/or any attempts to run "hibernate". This is the main problem with most machines not restarting. I turn this off on ALL of my machines including laptops. It also eats up a large area of your hard drive to save all those things running when it goes to sleep.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Dave - I'll try that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turned off and applied all hibernation options in Power Options under Control Panel. That did not correct the problem. It still froze when the "starting" bar graph was about 70% complete. My Compaq EP has one power button. When the freeze occurs, that button does not shut off power. I have to go to my UPS switch to do so. Then, switching back on at the UPS fires up the EP and I get to my desktop without problems. Compaq and MS have never found the reason for this.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    You could try disabling Power Saving options within the BIOS. To do this hold down F2 or perhaps the Delete key, depending on which BIOS you have, after the POST but before Windows starts to load.

Rgds

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"that button does not shut off power" most of the newer computers one must hold the power button 10-15 seconds before it will shut down. This is to prevent the shut down when you bump the switch.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.