New Lounger
    McLeansboro, Illinois, USA

Last Accessed Date (Vista Home Premium SP1)

Hi All!
    I have a disk defragment utility that can defragment and consolidate files based on the Last Accessed Date. However, it gives me a message that the Last Accessed Date function is not set. I can't seem to find any Help that tells me how to set the Last Accessed Date. Does anyone have any input?
    Mike Rapp (foureyes)

Silver Lounger
    New York, New York, USA

Re: Last Accessed Date (Vista Home Premium SP1)

Welcome to the Lounge!

Accessed date attribute (also called last accessed date) indicates on the file systems level when a file was accessed the last time. Last accessed date attribute differs from modified date and file property. While modification date and time indicates the last changes in file contents, last accessed date does not necessarily presuppose changes of content. When a file is modified, modification and last accessed date is set to the same value. However if the file is only opened for viewing, copied, moved, or in other words - if file or folder is used in any way, last accessed date is changed to current one.
    Any viewing, copying or moving of the documents, images and other files automatically alters last accessed date stamp of the file.

How to check your system settings:

Start > Run > regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFi leSystem
    Value Name: NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
    Data Type: REG_DWORD (Dword Value)
    Setting for Value Data:
    0 = Suppression Disabled
    1 = Suppression Enabled (Default)

You can change NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate to 0, but your application (Disk Defragmenter) is not compatible with Windows Vista.