Thread: Good UPS?

Thanks

Good UPS?

My uninterruptible power supply is starting to die. It's been quite a while since I had to shop for one. Any ideas as to a good deal at not a back-breaking price?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks

Re: Good UPS?

Chuck - you will need to give information about what UPS capacity you require, and that you're located in the US.

Otherwise you're saying the equivalent of, "I need to buy a car in some unspecified country in the world. Which car would you recommend?"
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Batcher's right, so just to give you some reading material, I Googled "uninterruptable power supply" (no quotes) and got enough hits to provide a good choice of reading. One I looked at briefly, Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Guide leads to this very detailed review, UPS: quality plus quantity. Plus or minus?, including APC which I would have answered without going through any of this. But, as Batcher suggests, how much equipment do you plan to connect to it, what type of protection do you need or want, and on and on???

Thanks

Batcher / Al:

I apologize...you're right atcher, I did leave you sort of in the dark. Al, as I am always getting ribbed about my lack of google-use, I had done a search, and come up with a zillion hits. Problem was and is, that, even sitting at the computer and knowing thereforefore what I would needit for, that wouldn't give me much about the companies, brands or specs, all of which I know nothing. To borrow Batcher's idea, that would be like me standing in a car lot and saying "I know where I want to go...give me one in the third row from the left...no matter which one."

I did run across APC Al, which did look good. But again, as I know nothing of them, sounding good and being good are sometimes different animals.

"All" I'd like to be able to do is plug my monitor, box (CPU), and router into one, and get "as much time as possible" in case of a problem. From the reading I did do, it seems that 5 minutes gives or take is about it unless you spend a bundle.

And then there's how long it takes to "react" (term for this I do not know). The two sides of THAT equation - what the PC needs and what the UPS delivers is again totally gray to me.

I have a UPS thatI've had for some 4 years or so...and never needed to rely on it. Couple days ago we had a power outage -- and the darn thing didn't catch it and everything went down. So it's obvious that my prior choice sucked.

Of course I could spend some $4-500, but that certainly isn't on my list of things to do!

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Chuck,
    When was the last time you checked or changed the back up batteries in your present UPS? They don't last forever, you know.

APC is the brand I have been using for a long time and the few times that it was needed, it came through like a champ. I think I'm on my third unit right now.

Go to the APC site. Not only do they have a "sizing" calculator page to determine what size unit you should have, but they also have a trade in allowance for batteries, if they are APC brands. They also offer factory reconditioned units, that carry the same warranty as new ones.

Check it out at APC Calculator
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Bob <post:=758,106>post 758,106</post:> beat me to it Chuck. The batteries do have a finite life span.

I also use APC units and Bob's suggestion to use APC's UPS Selector is excellent.
    The main things to look for in selecting a UPS (in my opinion) are:
    a) A user replaceable battery
    A means to test the battery (test switch on the unit)
    c) Included software which will automatically power down your computer when battery power is becoming exhausted (while operating on battery during a power interruption)

Operating time while on battery power is not a deal breaker. What I want a UPS to do is simply give me enough time to shut down gracefully (if I'm at the keyboard when mains power cuts out) or else shut down automatically if I'm not present. There are many inexpensive units available which meet my needs.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Bob:

Didn't know I could change the battery in this unit...oh my...

APC does look good...thanks for the site link!

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We have found that we can buy a new APC brand cheaper at Fry's than buying the batteries and shipment of them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I'll check them out.

Thanks Dave.

Regards,
    Chuck